How to prevent frying your alternator....

sammyb33

so i got a Quest alty from the JY along with a tarus fan, and was just wondering what everyone does to prevent alternator damage....(cuz its at the bottom, and yes i do go thru creeks and rivers....)

There isn't too much you can do, as it's a bad spot for them to be mounted. Some people have hacked out the AC compressor, and relocated the alty there....which I plan to do, as my AC is shot anyways.

Alternatively, the only thing I've heard of is spraying all inside the alternator with Silicone lubricant, as it may help displace SOME of the moisture from creek/river crossings, though, if it's caked in mud, there isn't much that anything can do to save it.

true....caked in mud there is nothing. i was just wondering if there was something people did....yea ive been thinking about getting some silicone spray, but wondered if people knew anything else...:(

EDIT:

and my AC still works, so untill it dies, im gonna keep it....

Edited by sammyb33

true....caked in mud there is nothing. i was just wondering if there was something people did....yea ive been thinking about getting some silicone spray, but wondered if people knew anything else...:(

EDIT:

and my AC still works, so untill it dies, im gonna keep it....

I will spray mine with clean water after a nasty mud hole crossing and or if my charge light comes on. I use a hand pump fire extinguisher as they have a decent stream of pressure.