Gear oil

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Howzit going all.

Just need to double check on the gear oil that I need to use when I do my change this coming weekend.

Im not going to change the tranny oil coz its still reddish just like it was the first time I had it changed.

On the transfer case I was told to use Dextron3 ATF since its automatic but if it was manual it should be GL4.

On the diff its GL5 75-90 . Correct me if Im wrong on this guys :type:

I know the following is correct for pre-'90, others will (please) confirm for all WD21's through '95.

Manual trans: GL-4 gear oil, 75W90 or 80W90, about 5 L

see: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Transfer case: GL-4 gear oil, 75W90 or 80W90

Front diff: GL-5 gear oil, 75W90 or 80W90

Rear diff: GL-5 gear oil, 75W90 or 80W90

GL-4 is for regular gears, GL-5 has special additives for hypoid gears (like in diffs) where there are high "slipping" loads. Usually sulfer based, which explains why they stink. Use ONLY GL-5 in differentials.

Conversely, you do NOT want to use GL-5 in manual transmissions as it is very hard on the synchros and will lead to eventual failure. GL-4 ONLY.

I think you would be able to get away with GL-5 in transfer case, but I would recommend sticking to the GL-4.

For GL-4, many of us are using Redline MT-90. Outstanding lubricant, but priced accordingly. About $9 per quart from Summit racing.

For GL-5, many of us use Redline 75W90 Gear Oil. This is OK to use in open, LSD, or Lockrite equiped differentials.

Edited by mws

Guest SuperSon

Thanks guys.Sorry I forgot to mention what year pathy. I have a 93 with automatic transmission.

I cant remember where I seen a post on gear oil for the tranny.It specificaly says not to use GL4 on auto trans but I believe the tcase would take GL4 regardless if its auto or manual just what 88 said :beer:

Edited by SuperSon

The auto takes atf. The transfer case takes atf. For 90 - 95. He has an 88 hence the name. I just did this last year.

Well, I didn't do the auto since I have a manual, but you get what I mean.

The auto tranny needs auto tranny fluid.

Confusion on the transfer case comes about because it is a relatively undemanding application. It's just regular gears turning in roller bearings in a sealed case, with minimal thermal demands. Without pumps, synchros, valves, hypoid gears, or any other special things with special needs, it will do fine with just about any old lubricant of approximately the right weight. I'll wager it will work adequately well under average use with motor oil, ATF, or just about any grade of gear oil heavier than 3 in 1 oil but thin enough to flows.

... it will do fine with just about any old lubricant of approximately the right weight. I'll wager it will work adequately well under average use with motor oil, ATF, or just about any grade of gear oil heavier than 3 in 1 oil but thin enough to flows.

lol.. yeah. i switched from atf to gl in my t-case.. it smelled funky for 3-4mo or so but no issues at all. the funny thing is that a nissan tech told me that it would even be ok to mix gl and atf in the tc.