Aftermarket stereo switching

eglaisi_91pathy

Ok, the PO installed a Jensen aftermarket CD player into the pathy, but now the volume button is stuck and it plays full volume, full bass, full trebble, full front fade, full left balance all the time and im gettin worried about my windows and my own health... now, I have a panasonic MP3/CD player thats out out my dad's chev that he sold to me.

I figured it would be a matter of taking old one out, put new one in... not so easy, the PO obviously did not have the player professionally installed. Its a wiring nightmare. I was thinking, if I could cut the wires the are for the old CD player, and connect it to the plug in connection of the new CD player, I should have it working, correct? I have the FSM and looking at the wiring diagram, Im baffled... Am I screwed royally? Plz help.

Stereo wiring is easy. Use a test light or voltmeter to find your 12V+ and a ground, then find the speaker wires and go from there. Twist the light(illumination/dimmer) wire from the new stereo together with the 12V+ wire and never worry about it again.

You're in Squamish eh?

I'm an electronics technician by day in Port Moody, and have been known to install car stereo's for beer by night in Maple Ridge. What's your week looking like? I am generally free in the evening. Let me know if you are interested, (I know it's a fricken long way to go) and I'd like to give you a hand.

If you know what you are doing, it is actually pretty simple to install a new stereo. The 3 power wires you want are 12V hot, 12V in accessory, and ground. The rest of the wires would be the speakers.

Heck, email me if you can make it to Maple Ridge tonight, I got nothing planned. gilbank@gmail.com

I know its pretty simple usually, but the PO did a nice hack job on everything, even the dash where the player sits is all hacked up for some reason. Im not sure I have time to drive all the way to Port Moody (especially with no CD player :wacko: ) but thanks for offering, hopefully I will figure it out sometime

I suggest just re-doing everything, it will make it nice and tidy.

What I would do is pull out the old HU (Head Unit) and get rid of all of the wires that go to it.

I would run a new 12v constant, 12v accessory and ground for the new HU. From there I would bypass the stock amps and just run new wires to every speaker.

I bypassed the stock amps and am running my 5.25" JBL components and my Alpine Type S 6x9s off deck power.

It's fairly simple to do. If you get into a bind, or want to read more about it before you dive in, check out this site www.the12volt.com

It should give you a little help.

Ok, after work today i just got mad and went head on into it. The weather was rainy, but that means it was warmer then yesterday since it was snowing then, so i can actually feel my toes + fingers! I got the clock, CD player to work (speaker wires mixed up, no biggie) but now i have no dash lights :sniff: i probably accidentally bumped something off when i took off the dash piece thats around the steering column, hopefully an easy fix, had to drive home from work with no tach or speedo :lol:

Quite the hack job by the sounds of it, betchya he used duct tape fer somethin' under the dash too. I totally agree with what people have suggested previously when it comes to rewire it. Do it. Do it right, proper connectors etc. Forget about the factory stuff, as the PO has caused some sort of fire danger under there. I've been in a car when the lighter socket wire shorted on another wire. A hell of a lot of TOXIC smoke. @ 70 mph, not too much fun. It is simple to do, take deep breaths and some patience it'll hook up way easier than you think. I just rewired my own after replacing the stock unit. That way you don't hack into the factory stuff. The only adapter you should buy is the antenna one. The factory units were din size (unlike today's newer factory CRAP) and they were descent units to boot (Panasonic i think {Matsu@!*%a?}). Two screws onthe floor kick panel, then 4 on the trim and another 8 around the unit itself. I used the stock chassis mount (a little modified) and it fit like a glove. Hopefully the PO realised the fact the chassis mount is perfect for holding the head unit in place as they are the same dimensions. :beer: