Wheel Stud Problem

rennwerkes

AARGH!!!

Is this a typical problem?

Or am I just a lucky guy??? :laugh:

Not typical, but I snapped a couple a while back. Overtorqued the lugs. First time using a cross-type lug wrench on them. Live and learn. P...

I always use a torque wrench now while tightening my lugs.

I replaced all of mine years ago after having the tires replaced and nearly every stud was starting to strip. That was the last time I allowed a shop to touch my wheels while they were on the vehicle. Now I remove my wheels and take them to the shop.

I believe the studs are supposed to be pressed in. I just used some washers and the lug nut to draw them in - worked fine (make sure to line the splines up). The rear studs, as I recall, were not difficult. The worse part of doing the front was torquing the wheel bearing lock nut - had to make a "special" tool being too poor at the time to buy one. Funny thing now though is looking at the FSM, I can't find any reference to the tool. :shrug:

Found the tool: KV40105400 (J36001) used to preload to 58-72 ft-lb then 0 ft-lb then .4-1.1 ft-lb. I'm not sure how critical this is, but the specs are different than 2WD.

Edited by Animal

If not overtorqued or under torqued, it is EXTREMELY rare.

Unfortunately, very few studs get treated correctly.

My advice: If one is broken, take that as your official notification that some gorilla has overtorqued all studs and they are all at risk. Replace ALL of the studs on that wheel, and consider doing all on the vehicle. I would.

I know some folks will blast me for that as overkill. Honestly, I don't care. Based on my my knowledge of metallurgy (BS in Mechanical Engineering) and desire to not die in an easily preventable way, I do not recommend taking risks with something so simple. If you are willing to, have at it. But do not blame the manufacturer or engineer if something goes wrong.