Possible problematic rust spot?

QuismO

i was doing a thorough touch up paint job on all the nicks on my hood and roof before i hit up the salty roads of tahoe, and i saw some rust on the hinges at the top of the cargo area opening that hold the rear hatch. just thought i should point it out in case it isn't just my pathy. hopefully it's just my r50, and you guys don't have this prob.

on mine, some rust was forming at;

-the ends of the hinge pin (the two top circles)

-around the two rivets (two lower circles)

-and at some areas of the outer edge of the base (outlined in red)

hinge.jpg

My '97 is showing rust on both rear hatch hinges - moreso than yours. It appears to be light surface rust, not actual rot. I noticed my rear window seal leaks in one spot - when I use the rolltop cover-thing on wet days there is a small puddle on it.

I have NO areas of real rust, or even minor bubbling, which says a lot considering I'm in Maine. I did paint the rockers two years ago with black Herculiner to cover the rock chips, but they were cosmetic, no sub-surface rust. My rear bumper sections did bubble pretty badly on those cheap metal outer pieces.

Not to much to complain about for a 10 year old vehicle.

m.

Thanks for the heads up Q.

No issues with mine at this point but it is a bit newer and is a west coast vehicle, lot less exposure to that chemical de-icer used back east.

no prob, just seeing if others have it and might have overlooked it.

mine is also a west coast truck, but during the winter, i take it up almost every weekend to go snowboarding, and trust me, they don't skimp on the salt up in the sierra nevadas =P