Eat dog food and win $2.7 million.

FUELER

Firefighter served dog food gets $2.7M in suit

L.A. man claims meal given to him by colleagues was racial discrimination

LOS ANGELES - The city is paying $2.7 million to settle a lawsuit from a black firefighter who claims he suffered racial discrimination after co-workers served him spaghetti laced with dog food.

The City Council approved the award Wednesday, 11-1.

In his lawsuit, firefighter Tennie Pierce, 51, said after he took a bite of the meal two years ago, he noticed other firefighters laughing. He demanded to know what was in the food after a second bite but nobody answered.

Pierce said he suffered retaliation for reporting the incident and verbal slurs, insults and derogatory remarks, including taunting by firefighters “barking like dogs (and) asking him how dog food tasted,” the lawsuit said.

David Wellman, a professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz hired by Pierce’s attorney, said the association of a black man and dog food “resonates with the deep historical roots of slavery and the corresponding dehumanization.”

“It’s not just silly stuff. It’s racially motivated,” he said.

As part of the settlement, the two captains involved were given one month off without pay, and a firefighter was ordered off work for three days without pay.

“I truly hope that my case will make a difference for African-Americans in the Los Angeles Fire Department,” Pierce said in a statement.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I guess that's cool. I wouldn't exactly call it racism but who knows if things would have been different, had the guy been white?

Poland once had a black soccer player (first ever). His name was Olisadebe. When he started, Polish soccer fans reacted harshly by booing him and launching bananas onto the field. The field was covered in bananas.

He then won them over by kicking ass and setting records, but a string of knee injuries has unfortunately killed his spree....