Bad Vibration at 50 MPH

John Boy

I have the weirdest thing going on that just started to happen today. If I'm doing anywhere between 50 MPH and 55 MPH the truck starts to vibrate, mostly the gas pedal and the floorboard. It almost feels like am in to high of a gear for that speed. Like when your driving a manual and your in 4th gear going 20 mph. That's the best I can describe it. Now anything higher or lower then 50 MPH it's fine no vibration, the vibration kicks in at exactly 50 MPH and goes away at 60 or below 50 MPH. I tried turning off the OD and switching the E-AT on and off but it made no difference.

The only thing I have done to the truck prior to this happening is change the rear differential seal, which I can't see having any adverse affect on this problem.

I really want to love this truck and I've dumped over a $1000 into it but I just don't see any longevity with it. Sure the motor will last but everything around it seems to be falling apart. I'm actually suppose to go check out a 93 s10 blazer tommorrow but I would prefer to keep the Pathfinder. :confused:

Any ideas would be appreciated ...It's a 95 XE Automatic with 103,000 mi.

Could be as simple as a wheel out of balance or bent. One way to check; if the steering wheel doesn't vibrate rotate the tires then drive it up to speed. If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel then rotate one side back and drive up to speed again, if it still vibrates the wheel then you found one bad one. Rotate both sides and see if you feel it in the wheel, if not then just one bady, if so, check both for balance and bends. If the steering is shaking now, rotate one side to start.....

Thanks for the suggestion but why would I only get vibration at 50MPH :confused: At the moment the steering wheel doesn't vibrate only the gas pedal and floorboard...LOL the rear view mirror vibrates also I was getting dizzy trying to look into it. I will try your idea though.

could be the driveshaft too, check for the u-joints and check the wheels and tires, if those are okay maybe you have an out of balance ds.

Hmm that is possible seeing how they just did the rear diff. seal...dam dealership!

I look under the truck today and gear oil is pissing out of it so I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the seal and reinstalled the drive shaft.....It seems to be fine now no more vibration.

lol, probably didnt torque the pinion gear down right, or didnt shim it right or something.