Not starting

Guest juliantayloring

Guest juliantayloring

Hello people,

I have a 94 Pathfinder that i bought a few months ago. It came with one of those removable kill-keys. I used the key twice the second time i noticed the truck did hestitated starting but then fired up. The next day the truck would not start and i smelt that lovely fried-wire smell from under the dash. I checked the key to see one of the leads had split.

I wipped out the sotter, fixed the key and everything was fine. Tuesday I hop in to go to work and the smell returns with smoke to the key. Once again i attempt to repair the split leads but this time nothing helped.

After work i got under the dash a bit, traced the leads for the kill key and reroute the wire to its orginal configuration. (only one wire was spliced into the kill key). Still the truck refuses to start. The brown relay in the fuse area still clicks. I even replaced the starter-relay in the engine compartment. (ther is power going to it)

?Are there any other fuses or relays i could check or replace???? I have a hayes book, the diagrams show me how everything is linked but doesn't say where anything is located. I have not checked the starter yet but i figured theres a short somewhere else.

Thank you for any help/advice.

-Jt

That's what I was thinking. Grandpa through it was great on his Dakota. Not I. That's what they made keys for. :takebow: I'd prefer the approach of the Mercedes & Audi with laser cut keys that are hard as hell to duplicate. Why make things increasingly difficult when a simple solution is available?

Guest juliantayloring

Duh-oh!!

I think i'm at least runner up for the bone-head of the month. A few weeks ago i tackled my passenger-side exhaust manifold. I left the heat shield off to check for leaks. I reinstalled the shield but did not get the little ground attached to one of the bolts. Today while trying to direct-test the starter i made the discovery and fixed my starting problem. Alls well that ends well. I still need to get replace the driverside exhaust studs which i'm not looking forward to.