Crazy electrical problem

Gnarlyma

We have a 1998 Pathfinder with a problem we cant figure out. After shutting off the engine and removing the key, we here a click sound and then all the warning lights on the dashboard light up and stay on. We replaced the ignition relay with no luck...the whole dash still lights up. Any ideas on why this is happening would be very appreciated. Thanks

it almost sounds like your ignition switch is bad and it thinks you have your key turned to the 'ON' position even after the key is removed. Is it just the pre-startup dash warning lights or are there other things on like the radio, pwr windows, etc? I have a WD21 but the ignit sw would be my first place to look. Good luck and certainly keep us posted as this sounds like a new problem to the forums and your solution could be of help to others.

I'd say there is a short in the ignition circuit somewhere. The ignition switch itself may not be the problem, but when you remove the key, you activate the short-circuit.

Electricity will travel along the path of least resistance. A short circuit will have higher resistance than the normal circuit in normal circumstances, so that is why with the key in the ignition, the vehicle seems normal, but when you pull the key out, it goes haywire.

Tracing electrical problems can be a major pain in the arse, so good luck! :aok:

We think we figured it out.... looks like it had to do with the remote starter....possibly something wrong with it or someone has something running on the same frequency as it! Soooo, we disabled it by removing the two fuses under the dash that are in it's wiring and so far so good. :clap: No lights have come on yet. Thanks for your ideas. Will let you know if the problem starts again.

Well I made the flashing airbag light go out. Funny thing I saw on a Nissan forum somewhere. Somebody else had the same problem with a flashing airbag light. She was told to turn her key to the on position (but dont start the car) with her door open, then push the door jam switch (that turns the light out when the door is shut) on and off 7 times, then start the car. So I figured what the heck, I have nothing to lose, so I tried it!! It took about 3 times but it worked ...the light has been off for about 4 days!!! Imagine if I had to pay the dealer $100 or more to do that!! I wonder how many ppl they charge big bucks to do that trick!!

Uhh, your airbag system probably has a problem. Shutting the light off isnt fixing anything. Here is a free diagnosis, its the airbag control unit. It has a internal failure and the light will come back on again. It has to be the most common problem with the system. IF you dont care, thats cool, but if you do, that control unit is quite spendy (i.e about $450 IIRC). Or if you dont care, just unplug the control unit under the center console.