Need some help with replacing an antenna

Guest Shaithis

Guest Shaithis

I got a '97 LE which comes with a power antenna. I broke it and want to replace it with a standard, non-powered antenna.

I asked the guy at Nissan about this and he said it was a big job, involving lots of rewiring behind the radio. I know that if the antenna isn't plugged, the stereo won't get power.

Anyone know where I can get some help on this?

Thanks,

Vic

involving lots of rewiring behind the radio

i beg to differ, arials simply plug in/plug out

antenna isn't plugged, the stereo won't get power

???? :blink: :confused: :confused:

thats news to me, again i beg to differ

some one correct me if im wrong

yeah, I don't see why the stereo wouldn't get power without the antenna, maybe bad reception though. Putting a new one in there should be easier than the Nissan guy told you, just don't connect the new one to the power antenna motor but hook everything else up and you should be fine. I could be wrong, but I think the Nissan guy just made too big of a deal out of it. You could always just do a little trial and error, and figure it out that way. :D

Um, yeah. A power antenna would be the extra work, not a non-power one. A regular one only uses 1 wire, that's it. Basic install on the deck, 1 wire to the antenna, drink a beer. Nothing confusing or complicate about it, the stealer probably just wants to charge you $400gazillion dollars for it.

lol yepp i got tired of mine not going up and not spooling back in so its disconnected. looks better to me. its only the remote wire you have to remove for the attena.

Guest Shaithis
involving lots of rewiring behind the radio

i beg to differ, arials simply plug in/plug out

antenna isn't plugged, the stereo won't get power

????

thats news to me, again i beg to differ

Try it out, remove the panel and pull out the stereo.

Turn it on, ahh, music playing from a CD :D

Unplug the antenna while the music's playing... Hunh? The stereo shuts itself off???:wacko:

Yup, something definitely needs rewiring here.

But what???

Oh, btw, the LE came with a Bose system. I replaced the original stereo with a Pioneer and I had to get one of those adaper doodads for the antenna.

Also, the antenna wires branch in two directions, the fatter cable heads towards where the antenna is supposed to be but the other cable heads towards the driver's side...

And BigMike, the antenna (the whip) is broken? That's why I wanna replace it with a fixed one.

Any of you guys know the part number on the Fixed Pathfinder antennas? I'm having a hard time finding one for the late model PFs which look to be a perfect fit...

Thanks again,

Vic

Guest Shaithis

Bummer, I spoke to another Nissan guy and he said it would be cheaper to replace the motor than to replace the antenna with the more recent assembly :wacko:

And I wanted to keep the factory look.

Anyone know who might have replacement antenna assemblys for 03/04s?

Vic

if you wanna get ripped by the stealer, opps i mean dealer, go right a head otherwise do it your self.

theres NO WAY removing the power from the power antenna should be causing the radio to shut down. theres only 2 things that can be happening here

1. the power for the radio is bridged through the antenna (STUPID, STUPID design)

or

2. the antenna has some sort of signal to the radio that its operational (unlikely, even sounds stupid on paper)

you speak of the antenna spliting to two wires, the fat one is the only one you need to worry about, the other on just runs under the dash and earths on the car body under the windscreen.

sounds like the apaptor is causing the fault

if i were you i would pull the adaptor out and 'customise' it so the deck gets power, replace the two wire antenna with a generic antenna from an auto store & wal la

if you want an unpowered Pathfinder antenna go to the nearest wrecking yard and get one from a wrecked Pathfinder

Guest Shaithis

I was a little scared of messing up the wiring under the dash but it looks like Nissan doesn't give me the choice to do so if I want to replace the factory stuff. Heck, I'm even willing to chop off the top end of the motor and stick some kinda antenna in there (might look ugly :blink:)

And I agree, it's definitely a dumb idea to have the power dependent on whether the antenna is plugged or not. Gonna have to dig out that test light...

Thanks for your opinions and ideas,

Vic