Don't @!*% out on me trannY!

falconer

Alrighty so heres the deal, i been gone a good while but i used to read these forums before i came to college. I bought my pathy with ~142K now it has probably ~146k. 2nd gear is starting to grind, not audibly but it doesnt go in smooth. Third and fouth gear are whining. This is a 5spd, not sure when trans. fluid was last changed as it is relativly new to me [had it a few months]. I dont have money for major repairs and im pretty much a moron other than i can change the oil. Any advice on what it could be? I hope i dont need a new tranny b/c i can't afford it!

Another thing, do you think its safe for long trips? Over the next three months i have multiple 4-8 hour trips each direction [4 to be exact]. Think it woudl be safe or am i in danger of being left on the side of the road?

thanks y'all!

**EDIT***

'94 5spd SE, oil changed about 50 miles ago, ~146kmiles, 4x4

Edited by falconer

I'm with '88 - Drain the fluid, refill with synthetic GL-4, add the extra quart, and drive it. If the oil had never been changed, your shifting will get markedly better, and with good oil, the bearing whine will likely stop getting worse. My '87 whined from the day I bought it 'til now.... But never got any worse after topping off with Redline.