The Manifold Nightmare

Guest 88PFMN

Guest 88PFMN

It's all true. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never pulled broken studs before. I read all horror stories here and decided not to attempt.

So, I took my '88 Pathy to a trusted tech referred by a friend. Gave hime plenty of warning..."I got a busted stud or two, these are known to be PITA, etc". He said he could do it.

Day 2 - "Man, 2 are really busted and stuck...gonna take another day."

Day 3 - The really bad news call..."I had one left, it was really stuck and the extractor broke and there's coolant coming out of the hole. I have to pull the head."

This is going to be an $800 manifold!

:furious: :furious: :furious:

Shoulda dropped in a 350...

My man, he owes you a new head.

If there's coolant coming out of the hole, he either drilled into the water jacket or the head's been cracked and that's generally not repairable. Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth. Unless he thinks you won't know the difference and tries to fix it with JB Weld or something equally tacky like that...you might be in trouble.

I'd call him on it and let him know it probably needs to be replaced now that he's screwed it up good and proper.

Yes I agree with he screwed your head. He def drilled to far into it. My buddies a certified Nissan specailist and he has done alot of these on nissans broken studs, I rember when he first told me about them that you dont wanna drill to far or youll scre the head and have coolant leaking out. BIG NO NO in trying to fix it especaily with JB Weld or something of that nature. It will need to be replaced. But he should also be the one to pay for it.

Guest 88PFMN

Yeah, he mentioned that some of the job will be gratis, he's a decent guy overall. Given that this is an '88 w/160K on it, are there certain cases where the studs just don't come out, or can the right guy get 'em no matter what...?

Guest 88PFMN

Hmmm....interesting idea. But you haven't seen my Pathy yet. Rust removal is high on my list of priorities. Thanks for the suggestions.