In the midst of a CV boot replacement-

ticker

I've finally got the CV axle off and on my work bench. I'm trying to replace the outer boot. The manual (haynes) that I have tells me that I have to tap off the wheel side end of the axle to be able to slide the new boot on. Is this correct? Is there another way? I have it in the vice and have hit it a few times but its not moving. I don't want to screw anything up so I thought I'd check. I took a picture, from what I read this is how I'm understanding this.

thanks

:huh:

ps I've searched around and couldn't find anything specific to this part of the job.

post-9-1162150097.jpg

Edited by ticker

The inner joint has to be removed from the shaft... There's a snap ring on the innerside of the housing for the inner CV, that allows the ball & cage to be removed.

Pezzy  Posted on Oct 29 2006, 12:04 PM

The inner joint has to be removed from the shaft... There's a snap ring on the innerside of the housing for the inner CV, that allows the ball & cage to be removed.

I was ask myself how the hell Pezzy knew that???? Slick you got some competition....

Pfft, Simon goes and ruins the day..... Kinda like not sharing those swimsuit photo's...

Yeah I took the whole axle out just to replace the boot, I used one of those split boots on the other side a few months ago. It was quick and easy, but I have read alot of negative things about them on this board. This time I had the car on jacks already and had just done the L&P CL install so I decided to go for it. After doing it once I am now confidant I could do it again in a timely manner. It took me three nights to figure out how to get the ball joint out of the upper control arm. (wasn't sure if i needed to loosen some other part) I had snapped all the heads off the bolts and the dang thing still seemed like it was glued to the Control arm. After I decided to replace the upper ball joint,I hit it with a BFH and it popped out no problem.

Thanks to Simon and Pezzy I got the axle apart and put the new boot on, regeased all the parts and had it reinstalled in a short amount of time. Now I know why a lot of garages don't want to replace just the boot. I'm not sure how much a new or rebuilt CV axle goes for but if I had to do it again I would consider just replacing the whole thing.