4 wheel drive and recalls

Matthew K

Hello all-

I just acquired an 01 SE 4X4 automatic. My dealer has yet to supply a manual and I'm trying to figure out how to engage 4 wheel drive. I can shift the lever down and notice the green light on the dash indicating 4 wheel drive. But I can't seem to shift the lever the other way. Can someone please give me the guidelines for shifting into 4 wheel drive, speeds you should do it at etc?

Also, I was wondering if someone knows the site to determine if there are recalls out on the vehicle and whether or not those recalls may have been taken care of yet?

Thanks very much!!!

Matt

Most 4x4 need to be in neutral and at a complete stop before you go from 4x4 Hi to 4x4 Lo due to the drastic difference in gear ratio (some standards you might get away with, not sure about Pathfinders). Also if your going from two wheel drive to 4 wheel drive, and you have auto locking hubs your speeds for shifting are fairly low (25mph, I think). If you have manual hubs and they're locked you might be able to go higher although probably not recomended. I've got a 90' myself and with the hubs locked I've switched it in 4x4 high at speeds of 60 mph :o without problems. Again I'm not recomending this, I'm just saying. Hope this helps. Have fun.

Denis

I don't know what the newer model shifters are like, but if it goes into 4wd and the light comes on it's probably 4HI. By .."I can't seem to shift the lever the other way..." is 4LO towards the dash on the new ones? Or are you saying you can't shift it out of 4WD??? Anyway, like the previous post you usually need it in neutral and really have to monkey with them to get them in 4LO. And never use 4LO unless you're doing serious off-roading or you're seriously stuck. And then it usually just makes it worse anyway ;) Also, don't use 4WD AT ALL on dry pavement...it causes quirky handling and will wear your 4wd out faster than you can sneeze if you do it a lot. But shifting, yeah, I do mine only when I'm stopped, and then I creep forward just because I baby my cars, but if I'm in 2wd and I get bogged down I will throw it in, I just don't like the noises it makes sometimes. They give me bad shivers up my spine knowing what I'm doing to the gears. But usually the recommended is 25 or so mph and I think not driving over 55 or 60 with it in 4WD. Of course those are guidelines so you can either go safer by babying it or not care and disregard them. But, if you plan on keeping the car for a while or want to make any money selling it I'd probably tend to be nice to it.

Push DOWN on the shifter, then pull it back another notch. That'd be Neutral for the t-case. (The vehicle will roll if on an incline with the t-case shifter in this position, regardless of transmission gear selected.) Then pull it towards you another notch and it should be in 4LO. Uninstallation is the reverse of installation...thank you, drive through!

someone give that man a beer to go with that cheese burger

some one had to say the obvious sooner or later, it was screaming 'PUSH ME DOWN, PUSH ME DOWN'

:hide:

;)

:aok:

One thing to note is that the R50 has full time front hubs (aka drive flange), not auto locks. So you can engage and disengage 4wheel drive while you are moving and not do any harm, at speeds up to 55. From 2wd to 4hi (as stated above somewhere), you just pull the lever back until you feel it "clunk" into place. And 88 covered going from 4hi to 4lo and vice versa.