rough idle

unccpathfinder

i've done this a time or 2 before and never had any issues...today i did the timing belt cam seals and water pump...when i cranked it up it was coughing and not wanting to start up so i adjusted the dist. and then she cranked up and idled fine but if i hit the gas it was like it was flooding out...

my initial gueses are that when i put the intake back on i missed a vaccum line, i somehow mis aligned the dist. when i as putting it back in when i was reinstalling the valve covers...im beat b/c i had to pretty much change my roommates brake booster for him cuze he doesnt know tricks to get things to work...so i want to know whats wrong with it but i just cant physically do it right now...and im sure i the cams and crank were all lined up and i counted teeth and all that but damn this sucks....

hmm just remembered i didnt tension the accel cable would this affect it?

ideas...

thank god my neighbors are having a 2 kegger tonight cuze imma guzzle me a bunch down.... -alcohol-

Edited by unccpathfinder

yea all of that stuff was good and 100% sure of that the only thing i can think of is i didnt have #1 at TDC when i pulled the dist out...so i need to check that again

but all 6 header pipes were blazing hot so im sure i was having exhaust...

Why did you remove the intake manifold? You probably have a vacuum leak. Often an engine with a vacuum leak will idle ok, but die under acceleration. Spray carb cleaner around gasket areas while the engine is running. If the rpm changes, you have a vac leak.

yea casey i am going to do that this am...i pulled it to pull the last screw on the valve cover so i could loosen up the rocker arms...i've done t belts without loosening those up and it makes it pretty tough to get the belt back on alone...

i pulled the dist when #1 was at TDC and then i might have accicently shifted the cams/crank before putting it back in...

pulled the intake to pull the driver side valve cover...

k just got time to go and mess with her some...my issue is timing i played with it and got her to run smooth and not have any issues on being sluggish...but the timing marks on the crank pully doesnt match where its suppossed to so i think the guys that did it the 1st time did what i did the 1st time i pulled 1 off and took all those bolts out and didnt know about the timing marks? b/c its somewhere along the lines of 180 degrees off and i was on #1...i also found that those plug wires were still kinda loose...so now at least im 100% sure that i didnt crash any valves (was pretty sure of that yest but after she ran like crap i started double guessing myself...

so i gotta spend time with the gf today (clean up our cars and watch some football) so i will have to get after this issue next weekend...

ohh yea damn it hurts when u jump an arch from the dist to ure hand...

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

finally had time to check her out...the timing was way outta wack...the cams must have rolled over when i tightened the rockers and not noticed it...she cranked up and purred like a kitten...with the exception of a lifter ticking a lil bit... now i just need to verify the timing