Its been just swell

02silverpathy

As you guys know, my R50 has given me the toughest cam install any one has ever heard of. I would describe it as keeping a loved one on life support (no offense to anyone who has to deal with this situation).

My R50 has several bad injectors, over 100K miles, a ghostly EGR problem, and now the autotragic is clunking around (I think she is having problems with her lock up solenoid or sensor or both). In the midst of these issues I have spent thousands--no really thousands--chasing a dream. The dream was to have a strong VG33 R50 that would in less than one year be ready to stomp down some nasty dirty roads..all the while making me look good for its valor. Instead it is a wounded animal that I am letting go of.

Over the last 2 days I have spent in excess of 16 HRS returning her to stock OEM condition (save the cams). I would like to say thank you to all of you guys as you are the most excellent and decent bunch of people that I have never met. In my beliefs I say God bless you all!

I will be posting many quality parts here on the forum at what I percieve, at least, to be good $$$ prices. I am going to buy a crew cab fronty and most likely keep it close to OEM. I am not sure wether to get the SC model or not, but I am selling these items in hopes of getting a mild lift for it and putting on the freshly powder coated NISMO's with my REVO's.

Again I will be around for a while until I get a Fronty and have a new suspension to learn...I will be in touch. Since many of you visit multiple forums (God bless you twice!), I have joined Clubfrontier.org as "Crewcab".

Sorry to see you have so much trouble. I have been watching your progress and hoping for the best. I wanted to do some performance upgrades on my VG33, so I was paying close attention to yours.

Don't shy away from the cams....my truck had underlying issues that got magnafied by the cams...not started by them...I am still thinking that they are more than JWT states (10-15 HP) They added a lot of power to this motor she just had already been abused before I started modding!

The fronty? I am hoping for an 01-03 Crew Cab with about 50-60K. Anyone hear of any probs with the 98-00 fronty?

Cant say I have... I prefer the look of the older ones myself (not the rubbermaid look)... they are very similar to the Xterra's so you can apply a lot of the same info about the X as the fronty.

Don't shy away from the cams....my truck had underlying issues that got magnafied by the cams...not started by them...I am still thinking that they are more than JWT states (10-15 HP) They added a lot of power to this motor she just had already been abused before I started modding!

The fronty? I am hoping for an 01-03 Crew Cab with about 50-60K. Anyone hear of any probs with the 98-00 fronty?

damn man...sorry to hear about the pathy. you should stick around even when you do get the fronty.

the supercharger on the vg33 is actually pretty sweet. i was driving my uncle's '01 frontier up to tahoe every winter season before i got my pathy...i needed his 4wd for the snow. my buddies and i would load that truck bed with tons of gear/cargo and it'd climb those mountains with no probs. your knowledge of pathies will definitely carry over.

my uncle sold the fronty last year and got a 02 tacoma TRD (a series of decisions that he totally regrets now), but it was the prerunner edition, so it only had a lockable diff on the rear axel...i was like wth...you should've just kept the SC fronty as it already has 4wd...more useful than a locking RWD tacoma :crazy:

If your looking at a 98-00 you won't find it in S/C trim.

BUT, those older ones do have a lot less stuff to be ripped off on the trail!

Sorry to hear about your Pathy...I too was watching your progtress. And I also wanted a Fronty originally instead of the Pathy (Found one @ Carmax...'03, 4x4 S/C, CC, Long Bed...68K miles, though) but they wanted almost $18K for it!

Good luck to you :aok:

98silverpathy- Do you still have the original cams somewhere? If so, I'd be interested in them. They can be reground cheaper than new JWT cams.

Hmmmmmm reeeaally?!

98Silverpathy - like everyone else I was watching the progress to see what came of it and I'm sorry it never worked out for you and I can only find solace in the possibility that your car, like you explained, had underlying problems before the cams. Anyway bunch of luck to you! :clap:

they are very similar to the Xterra's so you can apply a lot of the same info about the X as the fronty.

Aren't the 98-00 and 01-04 Fronty's, chassis-wise-the same? Actually, even mechanically? As far as I knew they had different sheet metal :confused:

:o :o :o Well, this is no publicity stunt but I drove an 04 Fronty Crew Cab today and I absolutley hated it. Not only is my Path seconds faster, but the room in the back sucked bad. I have a 5 yr old daughter that wont fit back there at all (of course er feet and legs are too short to wrap the set like an adult). Next I peeped at the new body frontiers (Crewcabs) They are hardly any better. So I got the salesman all excited and looked at Titans....Schaweet!!! Then I looked at the tag on those and realized that for the price of it and what not that it was just a lot of truck.

I am in a dilemma and I am not sure what I am going to do. I looked at the prices of the 02/03 Paths and liked what I saw...so I searched durability issuse on the 3.5...coil packs and lighting is all I found...hmmm maybe I need to change the title of this thread?

I really wanted a truck bed to haul stuff but a small trailer can do that...damn now what do I do??

98silverpathy- Do you still have the original cams somewhere? If so, I'd be interested in them. They can be reground cheaper than new JWT cams.

I hear you can get more power by putting in a VG30 cam, regrind that and have alot more.

you can regrind any pair of cams for about 200 bucks if you have the specs. But with a regrind, you'll have to work a little with shims/rockers to get it right. A cam ground from a blank usually works better. Having said that...I had a set of regrinds in my other car for a pretty long time. The hydraulic lifters took out most of the troubles, but it wasn't a roller rocker style head either. Headers can be done easily if you're willing to replace your exhaust. Check out the xterra ones...they're pretty nice. (SLR) They told me they fit the R50 just fine. You just need to throw in your own cats etc. [/hijack]

Got the 98Silverpathy's rims from the powdercoaters...super hot color. I am aiming at an '02 SE in a color that is burnt black cherry or something like that--dark maroon-- and I wanted to stick these on I think! Although the OEM 6 spoke in that bright silver is hot too!!

post-7-1162264713.jpg