Well, my project is started.

Little Mule

Finally, I'm sure many of you probably know this, but I didn't. So I'll offer this help in removing studs to those of you who don't know.

I had several studs from the exhaust manifolds stuck in the cylinder heads. I hit them with PB blaster several times over the last 2 days. Then to remove them, I placed 2 nuts on them. Then with a socket to hold the top nut in place, I used a wrench to turn the bottom nut. With a little umph, it turned the studs loose. :cool2:

Pic of 2 nuts on stud:

post-5-1162706003.jpg

Edited by Little Mule

So here is the question. I assumed on a V6 engine, pistons 1,4,5 would all be at top dead center (TDC) when pistons 2,3,6 are at the bottom of the cylinder. However, when I got the cylinder heads off of the VG33e engine, piston #5 was down instead of TDC. I haven't removed the crank yet, but is this normal?

So, does anyone have the answer to this question? :unsure:

Well, hit another bump in the road. My pathy had broken down shortly before I started, and I found out why. Looks like I'll be using the crankshaft from the new engine and having the end machined, or buying a new one. The harmonic balancer was loose on the crank shaft because the little protrusion on the crank was broken off in the pully. If you look closely at the end of the crank, you can see it missing plus it took a chunk of the crankshaft itself.

Here is the balancer with the piece stuck in the groove:

post-5-1163387277.jpg

Sorry to hear that. I don't mind so much. Tell's me I'm not doing this for no good reason anyone. Its obvious my truck was dead anyway. Now I just have to make it stronger...faster... (Do you hear the background music?)

Anyway, I think my mechanic that has worked on this truck has butchered it lately. So far I'm finding several things connected to nothing. Here is the first. Anyone have a picture of where this hose is supposed to be connected to? Mine was just hanging free. The one end is connected to the back side of the TBI. Anyone care to take a picture of their's for me? (This pic was taken from the passenger side.)

post-5-1163484812.jpg

Rami sent me some vacuum line pics after I did my swap which solved my problems... I'll dig around and see if I still have them

It really kind of sucked for me, because my old engine ran great, even after having a broken cam and 290K on it :sniff:

Edited by RedPath88

Hurray! NPORA is back. I was getting worried there.

Anyway, back to work. Anyone got a picture of where this unattached throttle body hose is supposed to go? I'd appreciate it. I've found 2 wire harnesses unattached too (that don't appear to go together.) I'll be posting pics of those soon to see where they should be attached too if I can't figure it out.

someone posted the numbers not long ago. i think i have them. also, not too swift with TBI but looks like a line to the charcoal cannister. but i can't tell on yours too good . here's L & P's numbers:

Lee McQuinn 812-236-5403 & Phil Dawkins 217-351-8316 L & P

Well, it only took 4 days (1-2 hours per day) to get the f-ing transmission drain plug out! :furious:

It was stripped and frozen stuck. After trying many things, I finally drilled all the way through it, stuck a chisel in it, torched it for 10 minutes, hit it with a hammer, and took a wrench on the chisel, and a 3 foot lead pipe on the wrench handle and voila...that tranny plug is my beyotch!

post-5-1165118959.jpg

Edited by Little Mule