Stocking UP

El Pathfindero

So here's a post trying to get a list of all the PRACTICAL things to carry at all times.....you know the "ready for anything" toolbox. Thing is, its gotta fit in the hatch of a pathy or on the roofrack that someof us are fortunate enough to have. you know, space-saving? -thnkboutit-

So everybody chip in. maybe we'll all throw something in the back of the pathy we never thought of. :beer:

I'll go back and edit this post with whatever sensible things we throw out. maybe if it gets enough hits we could pin it?? :shrug:

El P :aok:

P... (BFH) and vicegrips, tie wire. i have those in there always.. i also have my toolbox with pretty much all my tools. i have repeared all of my cars on the road (literaly here) at one time or another. it's good to be prepared. (maybe i'll bump up self depreciation alley here sometime. :D )

if you really want to go "thin" the only wrenches (sockets too but i mainly use wrenches anymore) you need on this truck (<96) 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm + phillips scredriver. there are a few bolts in other sizes but few (8mm, 11, 13, 16, 18, 19, 22, 33?).. there are also a few torx screws and a few allen ones too. btw. there is more 10mm stuff on this truck then any other size. i always have 2 10mm wrenches/sockets in the truck at all times or one of each.

duct tape!? ;)

other things: i also have a small shovel (it's better then nothing and i have dug myself out with it more then enough times (it wasn't enough this last time though :D oopsy) under my redtop i also have a 1" thick plank of native timber to lift the batter so the factory tiedown still works. in a pinch of course it can burn but i have it there mainly to give my factory a boost or to spread the weight of the truck in mud or sand when using the jack.

and i really couldn't just let this all slide like that.. ;) so, if you search around you may come accross a duct tape thread as well as one dedicated to tools and spare parts. have fun. :aok::D

All the things MZ described are essential to have IMHO. I went to Sears and bought a crafstman 140 pc. kit that comes complet with all the sockets, wrenches, allen wrenches, torx wrenches and it also comes with screwdrivers that were described along with some other neat things to have. I like it because it saves space because it comes in a carrying case. It also has a compartment at the bottom to store some extra stuff, I have my hammer some extra spark plugs along with some tie wire, zip ties and some misc bolts. A little tip if you do buy the crafstman tool kit would be to take a piece of carpet and make a template of the pattern of the case itself. If you dont do this every time you pick up the case by the handle all your sockets will come out of their slots, a poor design flaw from craftsman ;) This kit also saves alot of space so I have one for the pathy and one in my garage. I know around the holidays they go on sale. I have not had to use the kit very much yet but it is a good idea to have it. Oh and do not forget some recovery gear for that box your building. I need to get some more myself. HOpe this helps

Edited by zonianbrat

ohh... crikey. I don't dare list all I haul when headed out to BFE county in Nevada by ourselves, as you would all think I be wayyyyy too anal about it...

It would fill pages, but it all fits in a couple tubs and I have NEVER failed to make it home.

But a few key things I'll mention:

- recovery gear

- First aid kit (including survival blanket)

- water, clif bars for 2 days (more in winter)

- idler arm

- tie rod end

- spare u-joint

- spare front locking hub

- v-belts

- various critical truck fluids

- Lots of material for macgyver festivals - tubing, hose clamps, zip-ties, bailing wire, scrap chunks of angle iron and sheet metal, various fasteners, duct tape, electrical wire, relays, silicone, jb weld/epoxy, fuel tank patch, radiator patch....

This is what I have in the back right now.......

*I dont have a winch, so I make sure i drag my tow strap with a come-along.

*I also keep a small case with tiny bunjee cords about 8" long for tieing things up ( I use one of these so the spare tire release handle doesnt open when I hit a good size bump)

*JB WELD

*of course zip ties and duct tape

* flashlight

*a tool set like zonian carries

*Blanket

*fire extinguisher

*water

*first aid kit

*A few hose and exhaust clamps

*A few coke cans ( you can cut a coke can and zip tie it over a leaking hose for an emergency quick fix) it works.

*Gerber multi tool (knife)

*Plastic footlocker to keep it all in

Edited by govols74n

Here's my damage:

its a three drawer toolbox and takes up half the hatch.

*various hand tools (wrenches, sockets, drivers, etc)

*a tackle box full of various nuts bolts fasteners (rattles a little, but hey)

*another full tackle box of electrical stuff, especially heat shrink tubing

*AAA survival kit-folding shovel, road lantern, first aid kit, water, emergency blanket and a bunch more: not bad for $20

*blanket, camp pillow, sleeping bag and air mattress

*zip ties of all sizes, hoseclamps, wire, and ROPE

*sandpaper and file-trust me they both come in handy

*essential fluids

*knife, hatchet, and camp saw

*waterproof matches, air compressor, heat gun

*bug and tar remover, scrapers

*shop rags

*3 gallon ATV pack of gas on roof rack

*hi-lift on roof rack

*bfh

*baseball bat for all those sneaky cockarochess

*JB weld, and tapes and sealers of all sorts

*a tool set like zonian carries
HUH??

Lots of material for macgyver festivals - tubing, hose clamps, zip-ties, bailing wire, scrap chunks of angle iron and sheet metal, various fasteners, duct tape, electrical wire, relays, silicone, jb weld/epoxy, fuel tank patch, radiator patch....
SOUNDS FAMILIAR.... ...

EL P :aok:

oof. i could rebuild my engine with the tools i carry! but here's what some of the stuff is (major must have's)

8, 9, 10,12,14 & 17mm sockets (long and short)

std and metric wrenches

adjustable ratchet

3 different lengths of extension bars

straight ratchet

cheater bar

vise grips in 3 sizes

hammer

phillips and straight screwdrivers

10mm alan socket

set of 2-10mm alan wrenches

needle nose pliers (for when i drop washers n stuff..)

magnetic thingie with a light on the end

duct tape

zip ties of every size imaginable

spare rad hose

coolant

motor oil

gasket sealer

small piece of cardboard ( to make emergency gasket)

air compressor

tarp

bungees of every size, shape, n color

tow straps

my FSM and my cell phone -bounce- :D

Edited by Slick