Need your opinions- Exhaust Manifold options

Patrick

Hi. I just found out that my right exhaust manifold has broken studs, but my left manifold is fine. Should I just replace the studs on the right one or wait till they both die and get headers? What is less expensive? Thanks for the input!

If you do it yourself, it's not that expensive. If you can't do it yourself, it'd cost about the same(little more, but you'd be getting more power out of it as well) to have new headers installed with a nice new exhaust, I think. Last I checked dealership price to do ONE manifold was ~$400. A set of headers is about $350-$400.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drunken_rice

ok so what is the difference between headers and exhaust manifold??? yes i know im noobtastic but yea... i do my own repairs but im still learning and have never dealt with either... i noticed that on my pathy there is a loose stuf coming from the manifold... at least i think its the manifold... i just went to the dealer and looked up Nissan part number 14065-v5004 which i got in the garage which said these would go on the pathy as updated studs and are those from a zx but the dealer said they are from a quest.... they are also 4.95 each and he said i'd need 12... he did say he'd sell em for 3.50 each if i bought all 12... is there anywhere cheaper i can get these??? also i need part number 20010-88g01 which is the front exhaust pipe since i replaced the O2 sensor and the threads it go into on the pipe are messed... the sensor just turns forever....hmm.... 125 for that..... anywhere cheaper??? yea i know its a lot... :huh: -thnkboutit- umm... yea so back to the orig quest... headers and the exhaust manifold... are they the same?? do headers replace the exh mani??? thnx in advance :bow:

Howdy,

Yeah, I believe the headers replace the exhaust manifold. My passenger side exhaust manifold (with a broken stud) occured at about 120,000 miles. I now have 163,000 and my driver side exhaust manifold has gone. I wish I had gone with headers at 120,000. I will probably go with the headers this time, as it is still cheaper than new car payments and I plan to keep my Pathy 4ever.

FYI, I've read that the Thorly headers are good, and that the Pacesetter headers are junk. I'm a novice DIY guy, so I'm letting a pro deal with the broken studs that will surely come my current bad exhaust manifold. If this is your first broken exhaust manifold, consider the headers, because the other side will go bad some time.

When the studs go bad, they do replace them with a different stud. The stock Pathfinder studs were a problem. Hope it helps.

Yep yep, stock manifolds are flow-restrictive and heavy, hot and ugly. Headers flow excellent (which adds power to the engine), are lightweight, run cooler and are nice to look at. Just had to throw the beauty angle in there... ;)

also i need part number 20010-88g01 which is the front exhaust pipe since i replaced the O2 sensor and the threads it go into on the pipe are messed... the sensor just turns forever....hmm.... 125 for that..... anywhere cheaper???

Couldn't you tap and/or heli coil the threads to fix that pretty cheap, rather than buying the new part?

Guest drunken_rice

so tubular also makes headers for pathy???? how much do those cost??

so i have an auto pathy (rather have manual bu oh well) and im gonna get headers cuz i know my mani's are jacked... so what kind of "fab" needs to be done to the crossover pipe??? would it just be better to take the headers and have a shop do it?? if i replace the exhaust as well is it possible to have dual exhaust??? how would i do that??

my exhaust is messed so i know i gotta do a lot that im unsure about how to do... hahaha.... pictures, guides anyone??? :D

Couldn't you tap and/or heli coil the threads to fix that pretty cheap, rather than buying the new part?

heard good things bout them heli coils, anyone tried em??

Go with headers! Put thorley's on the wifes pathy and she got her first "Fast Driving Award" (aka speeding ticket). Major improvement.

As for heli-coils best invention next to duct tape and bailin' wire.

Headers.......... $300

Labor.............. $125

Watching the wife sweat in court............. $ priceless

Hon if you are reading this I'm just jokin with the guys. You know I love you.

:help:

Headers should give you a little better MPG, not to mention how good they sound.

A highly tuned exhaust system can actually create low pressure drops along the way to almost kinda draw the exhaust out faster. That's not the best way to explain this phemomenon, but then again,

there was this elephant that stepped on my head when I was a baby... :wacko:

I believe Grumpy is speaking of exhaust scavenging... the escaping exhaust creates a bit of a vacuum effect - exhaust pulses from the cylinders sucking the exhaust from other cylinders... this effect also helps to bring the intake charge into the cylinder faster... kinda like a poor man's forced induction

I've heard about that, and how an exhaust that's too open may actually cancel this out and harm performance. Anybody with the know how out there that could explain this, or know if there's anything to be done in our trucks?

88 - this is the first line of your major contribution to the post:

"Googled for "Exhaust back pressure explained" and found this. Took about ten seconds."

GOOGLE is your friend...

no biggie - I remebered posting on a similar subject and I have far far far fewer postings, so i just looked at my own posting history adn came up with that... with 75 or so postings, it's not hard to sort thru - took about 15 seconds...