Pumping in Fuel

PathFound

When I'm filling my '91 Pathfinder with fuel once it's 3/4 full the tank puts up a fuss about recieving more fuel. The nozzle stops pumping fuel and I need to slowly force the last 1/4 tank to get a full tank. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? I never experienced this with a vehicle before.

Also, about half the time, when I unscrew the fuel filler cap there's some pressure released. Not a lot of pressure like unscrewing a hot radiator cap, but some obvious pressure where air can be heard coming out. Is there supposed to be a fuel tank vent? Maybe mine is clogged?

Thanks.

I've never had that problem with my Pathy, but I did have that problem with my '65 Mustang the other month. Went to fill the tank and I was only able to get $3.00 in the tank. :shrug: Gas was up to the edge of the filler neck. Weird as hell I thought. I began to rock and bounce the car to burp it and it went down a little, but not enough. Drove it for a few miles and looked at it once I got it back into the garage and it was all gone. :crazy: Yeah, Wierd! I think it has something to do with the filler hose or a huge air bubble or something. Good luck with that. :aok:

I've never had that problem with my Pathy, but I did have that problem with my '65 Mustang the other month. Went to fill the tank and I was only able to get $3.00 in the tank. :shrug: Gas was up to the edge of the filler neck. Weird as hell I thought. I began to rock and bounce the car to burp it and it went down a little, but not enough. Drove it for a few miles and looked at it once I got it back into the garage and it was all gone. :crazy: Yeah, Wierd! I think it has something to do with the filler hose or a huge air bubble or something. Good luck with that. :aok:

well with my trans am i notice somthing similar, however it is due to a missing vent assembly, so when i finally filled up my tank gas would spill out, so i rigged up a tube which will prevent it from gettin out which i blow into to clear. i also have to fill slowly, but its for most the way.. and if i fill too fast, and hevnt cleard the tube it will come back out at me.

and yes, pressure is normal. many vehicles have warning on the gas cap saying that there may be a pressure build up.