Lift options and steering worries

88pathoffroad

This is a copy of a PM I recieved from someone on the AC BBS. Just thought I'd post the info here, as it applies to everyone, pretty much.

"88pathoffroad, I want to add a set of JGC springs in the back, but what can I do to economically lift the front of my Pathfinder without cranking the torsion bars? I hear that cranking the torsion bars will mess up your steering really bad, so I don't want to do that."

"Well, Chris... That's a two-edged sword you're looking at there with the cheap rear lift and no front lift. On one hand, if you do just stick the rear springs in and lift that end but leave the front alone, you'll be OK on the steering bit, but your Pathfinder will look really funny.

On the other hand, If you want it to look good and ALSO be more trail worthy, you'll really need to crank up the torsion bars. You don't have to max them out, just push 'em up till they come close to matching the rear lift if you go with that in the end. A set of aftermarket upper a-arms is a good idea.

The steering problems are from running bigger tires and offroading your Nissan. If you mostly drive it on the road, I would say that you would be just fine cranking up the t-bars, as long as you get it aligned afterwards. If you offroad the piss out of it, you should EXPECT to have to replace parts. It's like they say, "You play, you pay."

Keep in mind here, the Nissan designers didn't envision your Pathfinder running through mud bogs, over rocks, or over tree stumps...they simply built it to go off the pavement and do a good job on moderately level surfaces with minimal wheelspin. It all depends on where you go and what you do with your Nissan. If you drive it like a goofball, expect it to die pretty quickly. If you drive it well and take things easy, it should last a while.

Hope this helps. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest cash_n

thx to the forum for good info

i'm a nu-b and found torsion bar info from 2003 which answered numerous questions i had

thx to Aaron for the great write-up on Mr. Jim

i can come here w/ a ? and feel like an expert in minutes

pray for Phoenix to cool down so i can take my new 88 pathy off the pavement for the first time since i bought it last week

• 1 year later...