OBD 2 error codes

Guest 97path-LE4wd

Guest 97path-LE4wd

Hello. I am a new member here (obviously), but I hope someone here can help me.

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD with a little over 100k miles so far. Recently,

I have noticed an check engine light on the dashboard.

I went to an Auto Zone shop, and they checked the error codes and I found out

something.

1. Malfunction in knock sensor 1

2. ELC system closure valve flow fault.

What does it mean?

Does it cost a lot to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Knock sensor code: ignore it. A bad knock sensor won't trip the check engine light. It costs several hundred to fix, and replacing it won't actually make much difference anyway.

2) Never heard of ELC system, so I can't help you out there, but that's probably the code that tripped the check engine light. Do you know what the codes were?

Edited by XPLORx4

I think that error code is P1447 on your pathfinder which is a EVAP PURGE FLOW/MON error.

Under normal conditions (non-closed throttle), sensor output voltage indicates if pressure drop and purge flow are adequate. If not, a fault is determined.

Possible causes:

- EVAP canister purge volume control valve stuck closed

- EVAP canister purge control valve stuck closed

- EVAP control system pressure sensor

- Loose or disconnected rubber tube

- Blocked rubber tube

- EVAP canister purge control solenoid valve

- Blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve

- Cracked EVAP canister

- Absolute pressure sensor

- MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve

Guest 97path-LE4wd

Thank you for your response guys.

The ELC code that I got was indeed a P1447 and the knock sensor is P0325.

Do you think I could use a higher grade gas with or without treatment to knock out

the knock sensor malfunction?

In order to get my car (actually its my wife's car) inspected, the check engine

light will need to be turned off. Any advice?

Edited by 97path-LE4wd

Do you think I could use a higher grade gas with or without treatment to knock out

the knock sensor malfunction?

To get rid of the Knock Sensor code, either replace the knock sensor or hook up a resistor to the knock sensor's wiring connector. The KS is known to go bad on these trucks, and on the 97, its failure does not affect engine performance. Changing fuel grades will not fix the sensor malfunction.

The CEL can be turned off simply by addressing the source the P1447 code. The hard part is trying to figure out which component of the EVAP system is at fault. One thing you could check are the EVAP purge lines that attach to the EVAP canister behind the left rear wheel.

If any of the lines feel "crunchy" then it means that the carbon in the canister has disintegrated, turned into granules the size of coffee grounds, and clogged the lines.

A few years ago, this happened to me, and I had to replace the EVAP canister and the valve attached to it, and remove all of the rubber hoses for the EVAP system and blow them out with compressed air. Parts were around $120. Labor to perform that repair would have been around $300 if I had let a shop try to find and fix the problem.

Refer to Page 313 in this 9.6MB PDF for more info.

Edited by XPLORx4

is it possible to disconnect the SES light? I hate that damn thing, i had the same error code as the guy above, no desire to fix it. I hate looking at that bright orange/yellow light, Service Engine Soon-Service Engine Soon-Sevice Engine Soon. I'll service my engine when i feel like it, which might or might not be SOON!

Re: the P1447 code (or any EVAP code) and "fixing your engine when you feel like it"... I have a story for you that might compel you to do something about it sooner than later.

In 2002, I had an EVAP code (I can't remember which one, though) that I ignored because my truck seemed to run fine, and I didn't want to pay for the repair. Well, this resulted in a situation that could have destroyed my truck! :o

Read about it here.. My advice is don't ignore that light, especially for EVAP errors.