90 pathfinder electrical issue...

Adam

so i drove my pathfinder to oklahoma city yesterday, from dallas, and way early in the morning, like 5am there was a huge storm, had to slow down to 30mph, wipers on full blast... so i get to oklahoma city and i go to park, and during the turn, i hear a fuse pop and my dash goes dead... the meter fuse... so i put another fuse in, a 20amp, instead of the 10, that one pops too... being the dumbass i can be, i use a dime instead, and melt the wire... car won't start when the fuse is popped, and definately not when the wire was clipped, the shifter interlock won't come off... wire is white with a black stripe and intermittent silver dots on it... so i clip the wire a few inches from the fuse block, and trace it, it goes to the harness on what i'm assuming is the ECU(under the passenger seat), and i even saw where it was broken, just under the kick panel right by where i usually put my feet, and it seemed kind of moist, so i'm guessing the rain caused it to actually short out... so i run a temp wire straight from the harness to the fuse block, and still won't start... so i disconnect that wire, and i disconnect my battery for about 20 minutes... connect it back up, and turn the key, the starter works, but it won't start, just cranks and cranks... and when i reconnect that wire to the ecu it won't start anymore, the same exact issue... tried disconnecting the battery again but it wouldn't start after that, though i didn't disconnect it for too long... so its dead, got it towed to a shop in oklahoma city(place called metric motors), gonna call them on monday... i think the ecu is hosed, but i don't really know, i've only even had this thing for a month now... what does it sound like to you guys? anyone know where i could get a used ECU if thats the case?

guy just called me from metric motors talking about all these clipped wires underneath the kick panel, and itd cost like 340 to even start looking at it, and i was like no way man i didn't clip all those wires! i clipped the 1 wire that burned out, that i traced all the way to the ecu, i told him how it used to have an alarm system, and i'm guessing when the previous owner removed it, all they did was clip the wires out and call it good... those wires definately had nothing to do with this stuff lol, so he's going to look back at the white/black wire with silver dots, and get back to me tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

pick it up today, they replaced the wire that burned out, no other damage to the harness, and replaced the ecu... can't wait to drive it, i've been jonesing.

pick it up today, they replaced the wire that burned out, no other damage to the harness, and replaced the ecu... can't wait to drive it, i've been jonesing.

New or used ECU? And if you don't mind me asking, how much (ECU and total)?

New or used ECU?  And if you don't mind me asking, how much (ECU and total)?

i didn't even think to ask if it was new or used, the got me for 390 on the ecu, i probably should have looked around my area, see if i could find a better deal, but not having a vehicle makes that a bit tough... but i got it back thursday night, and drove 120 miles to my girlfriends place, then the 310 miles back home, and it was without issue, which was such a relief. total was 760 after taxes, if i could have gotten it home i could have easily done it myself, it was exactly what i thought, the black/white wire with silver dots got replaced, as well as the ecu...

Edited by Adam