tire install questions

tecciball

Hey Pathians.

I got some new shoes on the way for my 01 Pathy from DiscountTireDirect.com - Dunlop Rover AT size 255/70/16 - and I have some install questions for the group. I have heard of filling tires with Helium. Any known benefits to this, or is it a myth? Also, how critical is getting the alignment redone when installing new tires? In my current situation, I am moving up slightly in size by one inch form the stock 29" to these 30" tires. I have it in my head that I need to get my ride realigned, but that is from being told so by mechanics in the past that I dont necessarily trust.

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses. I can offer a review of these tires if anyone is interested.

In case anyone was wondering, I got the set for $434 with free shipping. I plan on having Walmart install them at $12.75 per corner (lifetime balance, mount, valve stem). Dunlop also currently has a $50 rebate on a set of these tires, amongst others. Just FYI.

Thats a fair price... When putting new tires on, yes, have the front end aligned, or at least checked. It's good for them. ;)

Seriously, if the old tires were evenly worn, then you could perhaps skip it, but considering you want to break in the tires with everyhing straight... That change in size shouldn't make much difference .

B

Thats a fair price... When putting new tires on, yes, have the front end aligned, or at least checked. It's good for them. ;)

Seriously, if the old tires were evenly worn, then you could perhaps skip it, but considering you want to break in the tires with everyhing straight... That change in size shouldn't make much difference .

B

I can add my 0.02 I'd have to agree with Precise1 depending on price always a good Idea though. I don't know much about helium but some people fill tyres with nitrogen as it doesn't expand much when it heats up. Hope That helps.....by the way I work for Firestone in NZ so I do know a few things about tyres. -study-

We used to fill tires on our HPV (human powered vehicles - fully faired "bicycle" like things) with helium, mainly for the psychological edge it gave the riders. It was a way of showing that we would stop at nothing to get them that extra .1 mph, so they were more inclined to give it all they had as well. And it helped psyche out the competition a bit, too.

It saved maybe .1 gram... and leaked down pretty rapidly as helium molecules are tiny and migrated through the tube and tire carcass rather freely.