"Limp Home" mode on VG30E

mws

I have a friend with a '95 WD21 VG30E that has been spasmodically acting up. Indicators are that the MAF may be having intermittent issues. Since new ones are $300, we're not jumping all over replacing it until we are more sure that is the issue (I suspect the hot wire to terminal wire connection coming apart). Every chance we have to test it, everything is running perfect.

My question today is: If the MAF dies entirely, does the ECU in in a '95 have a limp home mode or will she be stranded?

TIA!

I believe it will just run like crap, not die completely. Disconnect the MAF and see if he can drive it. ;)

Odds are it is the connector/wires at the MAF, thats usually the issue. May as well clean it while you are there... :shrug:

B

it will limit the RPMs like 88 said. thats only if it completely takes a crap. if it is just malfunctioning then yes, it can run really bad, like a carb'd engine with a stuck float, just dumping fuel down it's mouth. if you have any kind of intake that was recently built, sometimes the cheesy cone filter adapters can cause turbulence and really mess with the MAF. i've had cars that will only run if you hold the intake a certian way. you could also try regrounding your MAF, sometimes they get funky like that. whats the part number on the maf? P00 or n60 mafs are all the same from the 300zx(z32) turbo and non-turbo, pathfinder, j30....almost anything that used the vg30e and de. i have a few sitting around if you need one, but really you should be able to get one at a junkyard and save some $$$$. they rarely go bad.

Edited by twotirefryer