The Cory needs personal help thread.

cdhicks99

OK, where to begin?????

Problem 1. I have been in the telecommunications field for 7 years, on-site at a local hospital for 5 of those 7. A week ago I find out that the hospital I have come to call home is dropping their NEC switch, that has had zero down-time in 15 years, for a new Cisco VOIP system. In turn within the next 3-5 years I would have to,

a. go back in the field, driving appx. 6k miles per month while being away from home from about 0500-1800 daily.

b. find a new job with less travel and lose my teneur.

I really hate the thought of going back into the field, but option b has it's cons also. Over the past 7 yrs. I have learned to despise every aspect of what I do, but I have an opportunity to get my foot in the door of a data/voip business that will be moving to my area. The money will be more than I ever dreamed, but I don't want to do it. Of course the wife tells me I would be a fool to pass it up, seeing as how I would be the number 5 man on the totem pole with my own department below me. What I really want to do is work for myself making custom chassis for race and offroad applications. This is a very lucrative business but I fear there may not be enough room for me in the market.

As if that wasn't confusing enough.

Problem 2. This one will work itself out, but is still a thorn in my side for right now.

The wife and I should be closing on a new home within the next couple weeks. We have been packing everthing extra into savings for those "have to have" items that come with a new house. Which leads me right into ....

Problem 3. As everyone here knows I am trying to get my SAS rolling, but since purchasing the axle, frame, and transfer I have had no money to spend on it. It kills me that I have the four-links designed and everything else setup in my head and I don't have the money to move forward. This leads to.....

Problem 4. For the first 7 years of our marriage the wife has been a stay at home mommy. Last spring she took a job at a local attorney's office working from 9-2. She got her paralegal and all was well, until this summer the atty. to close shop. So she got a job right next door to the atty's office at a finance company. Her hours fluxuate from 9-5 to 11-8, which leaves me cleaning house, doing homework with the kids, yard work, etc.. By the time she gets home, anywhere from 6-9, I have no time to go over to tinker with the SAS project, or anything else fun for that matter.

In conclusion I have lost all desire to show up to work, let alone actually doing anything when I do get here.

I have nearly sold off the Pathy and everthing related to it in disgust of the way things are going right now.

I don't sleep much anymore, my life is in a whirl right now. The only good thing about all this is the extra time I get with my daughters, but an occasional break would be nice.

the solution begins with taking a step back and deciding on what the most important things in your life are. I think you have realized it with your last sentance. As for employment, I would look for another job. With experience, starting over is not as big of a deal as many may think. I know that, at least in my field, the ability to get the job done far outweighs the duration of time you have spent with the company. If you're not willing to hit the field again and hope for a stable slot to open (like you have at the hospital), it's pretty clear cut what you need to do.

of course, if you could always tell your wife to get off her lazy butt and make some real coin so you wouldn't have to work at all. :hide:

• 2 weeks later...

ALL PROJECTS ON HOLD INDEFINATELY!

I am now looking into starting up my own business doing light excavation work. This has put a stop on all fun money, but it should payoff soon.

New skid loader - 40,000

New trailer - 10,000

New truck - 30,000

Working for myself - Priceless

I have just been looking back at some of my posts and realized how much has been going on in the past few months.

Congratulations and good luck CD. I too dream of starting my own buisness soon. I just have not quite figured out what I will be doing :P I would like open a shop and do custom 4x4 stuff along with high performance mods for cars and trucks. Thing is I do not have the mechanical know-how so I would need to go partners with someone who does and I would run the buisness end of it. (PIPE DREAM) :aok: :contract: :type: :sniff:

ALL PROJECTS ON HOLD INDEFINATELY!

I am now looking into starting up my own business doing light excavation work. This has put a stop on all fun money, but it should payoff soon.

New skid loader - 40,000

New trailer - 10,000

New truck - 30,000

Working for myself - Priceless

I have just been looking back at some of my posts and realized how much has been going on in the past few months.

you have some serious digging jobs lined up? with that kind of up front expandeture i sure hope you have more then you can do in the next 6 months.. winters are hard for hole diggers..

winters are hard for hole diggers..

it doesnt get that cold down here...

sounds interesting...a thought CD im not sure how tennesse does it but there is big $ in irrigation systems i know here u have to get backflow certified but its not real hard work and you could prob take some comm college courses that would help u figure out ure head loss and what not...but there is good money in that as well...growing up i was the work horse for a pretty good size landscaping buisness...i did a lot of sodding, lawn maintainence, bush planting, stump removals, land clearing and sprinkler systems...it makes pretty good money when u own the buisness...i was working for $10 an hr and on days when i was doing just typical lawn care i'd do about 10 yards aday make $80 a day and after paying for me and gas in his truck and equipment he'd gross about 300 a day...

i also did my own yards about 5 a week and about 5 a week with a buddy of mine buisness...but at that time i was doing any odd job i could, including removing a flat top roof and putting up a frames and painting houses...but thats besides the point...

i dont know what kinda stuff there is out there but i do know theres money in landscaping/land movement and for possibly a temp buisness to start cheap you could always start a lawn care/landscaping buisness b/c for basic lawn care u need a mower, weed eater, stick edger (if you cant edge with a weedeater), chain saw, hedge trimmers, rake, garden rake, hoe, shovel and u could get a trailer big enough to haul all of that and prob pull it behind the pathy...just an idea but i dont know what kinda money there is in what ure wanting to start

Congratulations and good luck CD. I too dream of starting my own buisness soon. I just have not quite figured out what I will be doing :P I would like open a shop and do custom 4x4 stuff along with high performance mods for cars and trucks. Thing is I do not have the mechanical know-how so I would need to go partners with someone who does and I would run the buisness end of it. (PIPE DREAM) :aok: :contract: :type: :sniff:

There are many schools that specialize in just what your looking for.

I will add more in a minute.

http://thefabschool.com/

Sweet CD thanks for the link. Seems like I need to do some thinking here. I would be there in a heartbeat if I did not have a family and debt to think about. Sure does sound tempting though. Maybe I will contact them and find out where they are located.

Oh and CD, what Unccpathfinder was talking about is true landscaping makes good money. I know a guy out here in colorado that has a front loader and a backhoe and for side work he subs work for the energy company's like excel etc. He also digs holes for foundations. So the potential is out there so I wish you the best of luck if you go ahead with it.