Sliding rag top?

Headed off to auto body/custom street roddesign in 4 months and was wondering is a sliding rag top (think 60's VW vans and bugs) could be done on a pathy? already have a sunroof so, might be able to base off the existing cut as a basis for the rest of the way back. the slight rise in the roof may pose a problem there, but are there other supports in the roof i'd have to worry about? -thnkboutit-

El P :aok:

There is a main support under the hump, then if you look at the headliner you should see 2 sets of 2 push plugs in the rear, each set is in a crossbrace that is glued to the roof.

Here is an inside pic of my 88's roof from when I added insulation in it:

Pic

You might get away with it if you fab a hoop from square tubing or something and weld what's left of the cross members to it. But if you're going to do all that why not make a fully removable top like the old K5 Blazers? I'm still kicking that idea around.

On a Different note, can those cross braces be Replaced with some Fabbed up stronger Beams to essentially offer better load capacity for a roof rack? I'm thinking yes. Sorry to take a side step but it got me thinking.

Ever thought about the VW Pop up camper tops. Hell, maybe one of those can be strapped on haha

Dowser

There is a main support under the hump, then if you look at the headliner you should see 2 sets of 2 push plugs in the rear, each set is in a crossbrace that is glued to the roof.

Here is an inside pic of my 88's roof from when I added insulation in it:

Pic

A little off topic, but 2 questions:

1. Did that roof insulation make a difference in cabin noise

2. Did you have trouble re-securing the factory headliner after insulation installation?

1. I don't know, I took the carpet and most of the floor sound-deadener out (rusted under it). It does help keep it warm in the winter.

2. It was the same thickness as the ribs in the roof (what the headliner attaches to) so it just fit right in between them with no troubles.

The material is a kind of foam rubber/ fiberglass material with the foil facing on it. I got the roll for $11 at Pep Boys.

As for cutting the supports, yes you would need to build a frame in around whatever hole you cut. The supports do help keep the sides from trying to fold into eachother (especially in a crash).

Ever watch "Trucks" on Spike? Stacey did a slidding rag top on a full size Chevy crew cab. He got a kit that had a support brace thatwent around the hole.

Something to remember though, depending on how large you go, even putting in support around the hole will not counter the stress of the sides wanting to fold in. Eventually the openning might start to look like this ) (.

There is a main support under the hump...each set is in a crossbrace that is glued to the roof.

Can you remove the glue without bending the roof. I tried to cut out a stock sunroof thinking I could re-use the pressed lip around the perimeter of the sunroof. The glue holding the lip to the sunroof mount was too strong and kept bending.

Finally gave up.

You can, but it takes a while and still no guarantee it will not put a kink in the roof.

Take a piano or guitar wire and feed it in between the support and the roof. Then slide it back and forth across the brace through the glue. FYI wear gloves and don't wrap the wire around your fingers or hand.

Gawd, I hate sounding like my father...

Do what you want, but do consider the negatives of removing the metal up there.

1) The sides of the vehicle are much more likely to collapse inward in a rollover. Consider a roll bar to avoid squishing.

2) Passengers are more likely to be ejected if seatbelts fail or are not worn.

3) Objects are far more likely to penetrate a soft top and hit passengers in a rollover.

Pretty much the same risks as in a convertible. If the risks are worth the bene's to you, go for it! Working for you is that the WD21 has a full frame, so cutting out the roof will not cause a loss of chassis rigidity or strength.