Low cost sound deadener sheets

mws

Work for? If you planned to use it like a dynomat type thing, no. If you plan to fill open areas with foam, yes.

"Work for?"

I figured most people could figure that out since this is a thread discussing a dynamax alternative. But as I've learned before, one should never overestimate his fellow posters.

"Work for?"

I figured most people could figure that out since this is a thread discussing a dynamax alternative. But as I've learned before, one should never overestimate his fellow posters.

Well, you didn't specify if you were trying to use it like dynomat, or in what way you would be planning to use it. Like I said, used in place of dynomat, no, completely different animal.

Sorry for trying to answer your question. :rolleyes:

Well, you didn't specify if you were trying to use it like dynomat, or in what way you would be planning to use it. Like I said, used in place of dynomat, no, completely different animal.

Sorry for trying to answer your question. :rolleyes:

no apology needed, just don't try and do it again :D

i've seen two different kinds of the spray on stuff. there's spray caulk foamy stuff that sucks as caulk and would likely equally suck as sound deadener. but i've also seen a spray on insulator (though i can't recall exactly, it may have a different intended application) that dries nearly solid. i was thinking of the latter. but now that i've read the above linked article i'm thinking it probably wouldn't be that great as a sound deadener.

Well, the "caulk" type, as you call it, is mostly for use as a draft stop in tight spots around doors/windows or wall penitrations like plumbing or electric. Though I have seen it also used to fix the foam padding in a car seat. It's not the best for use as weather (water) seal, or pest seal since it isn't solid.

The other type I think you are describing is kinda like spray on rubberized undercoating for cars. It is used on thin metal appliances and such by manufacturers to keep them from sounding tinny and cheap, one common use is on stainless kitchen sinks. Never used the stuff, but if it IS like the undercoating spray, it'll just make a mess and stick to everything.