Sand Quads

mws

Being a motorcyclist, I never could get the whole ATV/Quad thing. They were heavy, disfunctional, annoying, slow, ugly dust generators. Made as much sense to me as a Harley "sport bike".

Then I rode on the sand. Ahhhh..... that's it. That was a huge amount of fun to do with the family! Bikes on the sand require a lot of speed and effort. Fun, but not easy. The quad on the sand? I could poke around with the kids, or rip at will. Handling in rough terrain still leaves a lot to be desired, but oh well. I had a heck of a good time and will be doing more.

I will never get rid of my KTM for dirt, trails, or woods riding.

But for the annual trips to the big dunes, I am getting a Raptor 700, and my wife is getting a used 350 Warrior.

And here comes the big question: I need to "Martinize" it to meet my needs & desires, but have not been able to find useful sources of information. All the quad boards I've found seem to be fully populated with pimply faced opinion spewers and braggards and contain absolutely no actually useful information. Just lots of verbal diarrhea.... 2 hours of surfing last night and my head hurt and I was second guessing whether I wanted to be riding anywhere near these morons and knuckle draggers....

Can anyone PLEASE direct me to an informative forum for mature, technical guys?

I need to modify the bars and cables to fit my 6'3" frame, and will need to pump up the power a bit. Even as a 700, the power to weight ratio is still weak compared to what I'm used to on bikes...

Edited by mws

I can understand what you are saying about never wanting to give up your dirt bike for trails etc. I was in the same boat. But I found the fun of 4-wheelers not quad's as in 4 wheel drive not 2. Around here (colorado) people call a quad a 2-wheel drive BAnshee type which as you say are a blast in the sand. What I have come to realize is that a 4-wheel drive 4 wheeler in the mountains on a sloppy muddy mess of a trail (my personal favorite) it so much fun I almost piss myself every time I go with friends. Granted I will not be giving up my dirt bike but I will be adding a 4x4 4wheeler very soon. If yo uwant more zip on that raptor tinker with it first then add nitrous.....and watch out. I know someone who has done it (not to a raptor) and when we party at teh dunes he will ride at night and hit nitrous and shoot a 2 foot flame out the back, looks really cool!!! Have fun riding i am heading up the mountains in like 2 hours to hit some trails myself.

I agree with the dirt bike over 4 wheeler sentiment, but I used to run a sand/mud paddle rear tire on my YZ250 and it make a HUGE difference !! Not having the luxury or use for a dedicated sand machine, I agree with zone's sentiments. I look forward to getting a 4x4 set up with racks/winch and maybe even trailer for serious backwoods exploring... :cool2:

I can help you with your search Martin, but let me know if you need any custom parts... ;)

B