Check Engine Soon Lights Up

Guest 97Pathy

Guest 97Pathy

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have a problem with my 97 Pathfinder, after changing the spark plugs,distribitor cap and rotor. And I also cleaned the throttle body which was full of gunk. I followed the steps for changing the plugs nd cleaning the throttle body from the thread in here. Ok, don't want to make a long story, well after driving home tonight I noticed the check engine light came on. Can some help me with any info on what to do. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks all!

Nick :confused:

All of the above you just mentioned I also did myself just about 2 weeks ago. Did you disconnect the negative ground from the battery so that the ECU would reset? You could always try that right now to reset it. I would just back track and make sure that all the plugs and wires were set in tightly and properly, no leaks anywhere where you reconnected to your TB or along those lines.

I also read that cleaning your TB may mess with your TB sensor which may cause weird idling RPM's. Might look into it. I think you can get it adjusted.

Good luck.

I changed all the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter without disconnecting the battery or having the CHECK ENGINE light coming on.

I would check all the hoses and wires and make sure they are all connected and not leaking. I also agree with DJ that the TB (Throttle Body) could be leaking and causing a bad sensor reading on an O2 sensor or the MAS.

Keith

Guest 97Pathy

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your inputs, I've fixed the problem, I did what you guys said. I checked the spark plug wires and reseated it and the engine light went away. Thank you folks that made my day. I was all worried, thought i did something wrong and that I would have to bring the car to the dealers, and paying alot os $$ for something so simple as this.

Thanks again

Nick :D

Guest white 95 le

Had my timing belt replaced by the dealer at a cost of $670.00.

Now when you start it in the morning (ie. cool engine) it runs fine. Drive it a few miles s, shut it off for 15 plus minutes and it idles very rough on start up and the check engine light comes on for 30 sec to 1 minute, goes off and the idle smoths out. Let it set for a couple hours and it will restart fine.

Tomorrow will be the 4th trip to the dealer for this issue (I walked into the owners office and had him come to the parking lot and start it.) and they are putting me in a loaner car until they can fix it.

So far they have replaced the distributor, 6 injectors, o2 sensors, and some sort of negetative air flow ground = all at no cost - but I am annoyed with the whole thing.

Told them to fix it right or I was trading it on a new Ford 4 door 4x4 F250

• 2 weeks later...