4WD error light- QX4 manual hubs

So to be honest, I'm not sure what to do now. The error doesn't come right back on after resetting as I assume it would if the tcase were overheating. On the other hand, the front axle seems to be turning even with the hubs unlocked and the tcase in 2wd, which suggests that the all-mode tcase is still putting some force onto the fronts in 2wd! (At least that is what I think this means... unless it is just moving ever so slightly due to vibration or whatever... it is not like I can really look under there while driving 55+ mph to check). For now I've got the hubs back in lock and am waiting for a definitive answer or way of testing if the manual hubs can safely be used with the all-mode transfer case... any thoughts?

Thanks

Today I jacked up the front corners and made sure the manual hubs were working. When in locked 4x4 the CVs turned, when in unlocked 4x2 the CVs didn't turn and the wheels spun freely. Looks like they're working properly... so still don't know what to do.

Thanks, I did see it but didn't think there was anything for me to do with it as I have a 1998 and this only comes on with the hubs unlocked, never with them locked. It does make me wonder if a nissan/infiniti dealer would be able to pull more specific codes or be able to measure the temperature in my tcase while the error code is on though!

man michie...i sure hope you figure this out. i want to get the warns when i get some springs, but naturally, i'm reluctant to get the hubs after hearing what you're going through.

i can see your train of thought and i too am puzzled as to why...almost to the point where i want to get the hubs to see if the same thing will happen to my QX4. maybe it's different because we have the lever for 4hi/4lo AND a knob for 2wd, auto, and lock? i have no idea, that's the only difference i see between our 4wd system and a pathy.

quismo- the 'auto' mode signals the big difference. Our transfer case is different. Most pathy's run in either 2wd or 4wd and don't have the auto mode. The auto mode itself should never be used with the hubs unlocked as the point is to have most power to rear wheels, but when slippage is sensed to apply more force to fronts. You can imagine how the computer would sense slippage just because the wheels are turning at different rates with the hubs unlocked. The confusing issue however is that in 2wd one would hope that the manual hubs would work fine, but there seems to be a chance that the tcase still has some friction to the front wheels? At least that is one of the possibilities here. A benign possibility is that the computer is sensing the 'slippage' of the hubs unlocked and notifying me with an error light. Note that some pathy's do have the 'auto' mode transfer case. To be honest, you really can just get the hubs, other people have apparently used them and had no error lights. The worst case scenario is that you get errors, but you can just run them engaged then and do no damage. That is just like running with the stock full time flanges. Of course it gives the theoretical advantage that if the CVs start dying you can disconnect the hubs to at least drive it home safely.

yea i figured that "auto" mode would trigger the error light with the hubs unlocked because when it senses the friction, it would seem like there'd be none (maybe other pathy owners with auto can verify). But to have it triggered when in 2WD, is totally odd, and goes against what one would expect. But maybe you're right, maybe the computer still works even in 2wd.

MichiganAve,

Just some extra info. I just put hubs on my 03 pathfinder and I have the same dial select system you have and I have not seen a light. Your's is the Knob dial only right?

yea michie's right. the Q's have BOTH the transfer case lever (for 4hi, neut, and 4lo) AND the knob (which selects either 1. 2wd, 2. auto-mode, or 3. 4wd-LOCK).

The t-case lever does not affect anything if the knob is in 2wd mode, it is only in effect if either auto or 4wd lock is selected on the knob.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh, I'm sorta confused. What's the point of having manual hubs if you have to keep them locked all the time?

yea poor michie has this error light that goes off whenever the hubs are unlocked. Possibly something different on the Q's? I'm gonna get 'em soon regardless of the error. my flanges are starting to have a tad of rust, so i might as well replace 'em with warns.

So, if I've figured this out right, the main benefit of having manual disconnecting hubs is better mpg from less friction (moving parts) in the front half of the drivetrain? I know I'm missing something...

Yes, that's correct. Manual hubs disengage the front wheels from the front axles. When not in 4WD, the entire front drivetrain will not be turning. This reduces friction and wear, and in the unlikely event that a CV axle or boot breaks, you can unlock the hubs to prevent further damage.

Uh, I'm sorta confused. What's the point of having manual hubs if you have to keep them locked all the time?

No real benefit for me of course (trust me, I'm not happy with the way things are right now and would rather find out I can ignore the error light, or I'll remove the hubs)... there is the theoretical ability to disconnect them if your CVs get damaged in order to get home safely, but I was wondering if you get changes in your suspension geometry or instability if the CV joint blows.

• 8 years later...

Have there been any updates on this? I'm looking at getting manual hubs for my 98 qx4. Wondering if anyone has discovered a workaround, if this was an isolated issue, or can a qx4 just not accept them without running into issues?

I read this and several other threads related to it, I can only tell you our experience.

2000 QX4 we bought in July of 2011 with 180K on the clock.

In June of 2012 (189K) we did the OME lift, struts, shocks and Warn Premium hubs.

Just clicked past 222,222 this week so we have about 33K with the manual hubs.

Our experience has been consistent.

The 4WD light never flashes and never comes on during regular city driving.

During highway driving the light will come on (never flashes).

Sometimes it's after 5-10 miles, sometimes 70 miles, a few times it has taken several hundred miles.

It always resets to 2WD when the ignition is turned off.

The transfer case works flawlessly when we lock the hubs and select Auto, 4Hi or 4Lo.

The only things we do for maintenance are:

Change the fluid about every 3 oil changes, so about every 10K miles.

About every 4-6 weeks take it out in the dirt, lock hubs and drive some figure 8's in both 4Hi and 4Lo for about 10 minutes.

Then I leave it in Auto until the next day when I switch back to 2WD and unlock the hubs.

I can't tell you that's the solution or proper procedure and I would still like to swap in a manual case someday.

It's just how we chose to approach this.

The figure 8 thing is an old jeep trick for keeping PT axle joints lubed, probably not even applicable to CV's.