Tire Selection for a nOOb...

cvearl

I own a 2002 Chilkoot with the 3.5L and auto transmission.

I do 45% city, 45% highway, 5% gravel, 5% beginner offroad 4x4...

What do you think? which size and brand is the best in my case?

Currently I find the truck rides fine until about 110 km/h and then I start to feel the tread in the wheel. Or a gentle shake/vibration. So whatever that might be. Could need a wheel balancing.

Thanks!

C.

I think you will find either of thoise two tires to be good ones. I have the BFG AT's (two of which are the newer KO's) on my Pathy and have been happy with them.

A good place to start would be here...

Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association -> General Topics -> Product Reviews -> The Unofficial Tire Review Thread!

Since you're in Canada, snow is a concern...I would look at the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs or the BFGoodrich All-Terrains.

iamwithstupid.gif

Both are good tires... I have the Revos & love them.

Well just an FYI here...

The last 8 weeks or so it has been 20 - 30C here (75 - 80F?). Will be like this another 6 - 8 weeks if not more but will begin to cool down in September or October. Snow will not actually arrive until December usually. Not as snowy as some would think in Canada. But then yes. It will be brutal January - April. To be more difficult to keep up with, in Calgary where I live, one day it will be -25C. Next day + 10C and slushy. We get something called chinooks. So we get spring conditions a dozens time for a few days at a time all winter. It's wierd.

So are Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs fine all summer as well?

I have been told I need a good all season for half of the year and a good aggressive winter tire if I want to stay out of the ditch for the other half. We do drive into the Rockies several times in the Winter as they are only about 1 hour away.

Do most pathy owners have 2 sets?

C.

Edited by cvearl

Those won't be good

I was disagreeing with" the won't be good", the reviews at tirerack shows :

Bfgoodrich all terrain : Ice 6.9

deep snow 7.8

light snow 8.5

Dueler a/t revo : Ice 8.1

deep snow 8.8

light snow 9

Destination m/t : ice 7.4

deep snow 8.3

light snow 8.8

The reviews are based on less people on the firestone, but still this is one of the best m/t for ice and snow survey says.

I am open for actual side by side real life test comparison -bounce- :D

So are Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs fine all summer as well?

I have been told I need a good all season for part of the year and a good aggressive winter tire if I want to stay out of the ditch.

Do most pathy owners have 2 sets?

C.

I run mine all year... but I wheel with mine too...

If I could afford two sets of tires, I'd have the Revos for winter and a set of MT's for wheeling in the non winter months... but two sets is simply not an option for me.

I suppose you may want another set of tires for the summer months if youre not offroading at all... simply to save gas milage (although, I dont find mine that hard on gas) and to save the life of the Revos...