Uphill Problems!

Guest jkopp

Guest jkopp

:confused: Just changed plugs and fuel filter. Now when going uphill on the interstate the darn engine falls off. I can put it to the floor in 5th and it drops to about 55 then I will try and and down shift and it keeps falling until I get up the hill. Recently had the trany rebuilt and a new clutch installed. I was thinking a defective fuel filter or the fuel pump is starting to go. Anyone have any suggestions and how would I go about replacing the fuel pump. Oh and after doing the spark plugs and fuel filter the idle speed dropped to between 350 - 450RPMs.

Guest jkopp

I have owned the truck for almost a year and have put close to 20,000miles on it. Driving through West VA I know these Pathys dont like hills, but it has never been this bad. When I say fall off I would be going 75MPH in 5th when I begin going up a hill it begins to feel like the car is slowly dying. I will down shift at about 55-60MPH to 4th and it will keep loosing speed to about 45MPH or until I make it over. Any other suggestions I have checked the plugs, wires, distrib. cap and button twice. What is a good idle speed for these Pathys?

so you have renewed the fuel filter and air filter?

check the timing

idle should be around 850-900rpm

i very much doubt the fuel pump

have you checked for any codes?

Idle speed should be about 900 on a manual with the clutch in, and about 700 on an auto in Drive. I think.

Start checking things. Vaccuum hoses are notorious for mysteriously falling off or becoming hardened, which leads to cracking and leaks and poor overall performance. Your O2 sensor could also be a cause. Run the ECU codes and see if it comes up with anything.

• 2 weeks later...

JKOPP,

Yes run your ecu codes first. Try pulling your fuel pump fuse with the engine running...This will release fuel pressure. Put fuse back in and check all hoses. Double check the gaps on the plugs, fuel filters are very cheap, might want to replace with new one to be on the safe side. Cracked or loose hoses will play hops with your power. As for your fuel pump, you will have to remove(drop) your fuel tank. Your fuel pump is inside your fuel tank. It's not difficult to remove and replace.

Good luck! :beer:

Guest jkopp

Problem finaly solved. It ended up that when I had pulled off the plug wires to change the spark plugs I had damaged one the ends, causing the engine to misfire. 90% of the time it ends up being something so simple that it makes you feel like an idiot! Thanks for all the great suggestions! -alcohol-