body repair q

nige

i cut some rusted metal out from underneath my rear seats, cleaned up the edges and removed any loose rust. I've cut out some replacement patches of steel to cover the holes and I plan on riveting them to the body to hold them in place. I was wondering if it's a better idea rivet the metal to the bottom of the truck, or cover it up from inside the cabin? I figured salt and dirt would get stuck in the 'hole' left by putting the plate in from inside the cab. what do you guys think the best approach is?

I have the same problem regarding the rusted area and was wondering if plate aluminum would work as well? I figured aluminum was a little easier to shape (also because I don't have much in metal fab tools with the exception of a ball peen hammer). The only drawback (if any) is the heat transferring nature of aluminum especially when the area affect is just above the exhaust on the driver's side. Makes for a seat warmer in the winter! :rolleyes:

Chunk

i just got steel because it's cheap. I don't think aluminum and steel play well together... Drill the holes (at high and low points) lay a bead of silicone, and rivet the plate on there. The rivets should make the steel take the shape of the underside, and then hammer it flush if you need to. I spread some more silicone around the edges of the plate so the same thing doesnt happen again :aok:

i cut some rusted metal out from underneath my rear seats, cleaned up the edges and removed any loose rust. I've cut out some replacement patches of steel to cover the holes and I plan on riveting them to the body to hold them in place. I was wondering if it's a better idea rivet the metal to the bottom of the truck, or cover it up from inside the cabin? I figured salt and dirt would get stuck in the 'hole' left by putting the plate in from inside the cab. what do you guys think the best approach is?

post some photos if you can as you go along

• 2 weeks later...

here is the installed plate picture someone asked for. sorry I don't have on from underneath, I don't feel like crawling under the truck again. It''s really nothing fantastic, just a bunch of silicone and black paint.

THis was the big hole of the three. As soon as I started tapping at all the rust, the whole floor started disintegrating. I just whipped out the grinder and chopped up as much of it as I could find.

p7220001ze6.jpg