Dashboard Light

First Off Hello Everyone!!!

This is my first post here and I am wondering if soemone could possibly help me, I got a 2002 Pathfinder LE, with every possible option, and I have run in to a problem, the entire right side of the dash cluster stop lighting up at night, most importantly the tach. and engine temp. I was wondering if someone here could help me diagnose the problem, could it be a fuse? or is it the bulb? ALSO i am not sure about this one but maybe one of you with an '02 or '03 could tell me if the PRND21 lights up with the headlights on, i forget if it ever did light up. if so then i need to know how to fix that too, If I have to replace a bulb on the dash would you recomend i do it myself or take it in to a dealership? I am not very informed on testing fuses and stuff like that but you give me a stereo and a sub to wire I can hide those wires with the best of them. so please help me, thank you!

JON

Welcome to NPORA, we love to give advice on how to DIY. It sounds like it could be a fuse,, and the right side of the instrument cluster and the PRND lights are on one fuse. So I would start with the simple things...fuses. You don't need to test fuses, all you have to do is pull it out and make sure you can see the Z, or U shaped piece of metal through the plastic. If its ok them put it back in and go to the next one. Be sure to turn off everything including the interior lights before you start pulling fuses. And read the schematic on the back of the fuse area cover. You don't want ot pull out fuses you don't need to be checking.

As far as the PRND lighting up, I believe it should light up when the instrument cluster lights up. (Not sure if it comes on with the parking or headlights)

If its not a fuse it could be a loose wire on the headlight switch or instrument cluster. Or it could be the bulbs.

I recommend (and i think all would agree) you get a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual from your local auto parts store. Even if you don't do the work yourself, it will help you get to know your Pathy

Again, WELCOME

Keith

First Off Thank you both for your input, I looked at the fuses and could not identify one that is linked to the dashboard lights. so I unscrewed the cluster panel and I found little bulbs that are screwed in just like the tail-lights, just a simple twist and they pop out, i tested the bulb and it was good so i clean teh connectors on the bulb and screwed it back in, all fixed!!

now to tackle my FM modulator for the XM, the instuctions are soo confusing, but if i need help i will come back here

thanks again

I'm not sure about the 96XE, but my 99SE does. Look by the bottom of the fuel gage for a little circle. If there's on there, you should have a fuel light. Mine wont come on until the gage is on E. And I still have 4 gallons left at that point...heh.