Speakers for '88 SE

mws

The '88 SE has a couple challenges for aftermarket speakers:

- The front doors have a plastic insert sized to fit only 4x6" speakers AND there is a depth limit to alliow the window to clear when it is rolled down.

- The rear cut outs can fit some 6x9's, but again, there is a depth limit.

I have liked the sound and durability of Polk Audio speakers for several years now and decided to go with them yet again. Here's what I found I could fit with minimal modifications:

Doors: db 650's (6.5" round) fit very nicely with the following easy mods:

- Remove the plastic mount from the door, and then cut it out using a jigsaw. If you look at the back of the mount, there are ribs. Just run the saw along the inside edge of first set of circular ribs and the 6.5" fit perfect. You will end up removing two crescent shaped pieces.

- Drill 4 new holes in plastic to mount speakers.

That's it! The mounts fit right back in and everything fits perfect. These Polks are shallow enough not to interfere with the windows, and I imagine other 6.5's would as well. The key is 2" mounting depth or less.

Rear: Many 6x9's are too deep and will not fit. The Polk db 690's bolt right in and have about 1/16" clearance between the magnet and inside of the fender panel. Perfect!

In both cases, the stock grills are left in place and everything fits and look factory perfect.

The sound quality improvement is impressive.