Faulty oxygen sensor

Guest manualfreak

Guest manualfreak

Howdy everyone.

I have got a manual 2002 pathfinder. The check engine light comes on (and stays) after I drive on highway with cruise on. After it happened the first time I went to a mechanic I know and he said it's oxygen sensor #2 and zeroed the thing. But after 600-700 miles in a similar situation it went on again. Do you guys have an idea why this is happening? Is the sensor really faulty or do you think it's because when a manual car goes on cruise uphill, since the gearbox cannot kickdown, the gas-air mixture becomes richer in gas (and poorer in oxygen), which triggers the sensor to send a signal?

Many thanks for your responses.

btw. welcome and do you wanna trade? http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9450&hl= :D :D

:lol:

Just when you thought there weren't enough Manual tranny owners... :D

The o2 sensors on our rigs are terrible. 01-04's are particularly prone to this. I'm just waiting for my light to come on because of this.

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. tried just resetting the light. then I started tracking my gas mileage - 13.5 FREEWAY:-( Took it to the dealer and had 2 O2 sensors replaced & the computer reprogrammed. replacing those bad O2 sensors brought me back to 15.5 mixed driving. (lucky for me my extended warranty doesn't expire till next month:-)

i have an 01 with 48k miles that experienced the same problem for about a year. i think the code was p0158 - rear driver's side o2 low voltage. ses would come on only after highway cruising for at least an hour. it would go off eventually or when i reset it with the scanner. next time i was on the highway it would come back on. all the while, i was getting pretty bad gas mileage.

about three months ago, i changed the o2 ($85 i think) and put in a k&n drop in filter ($45 i think) and now i get 19 to 20 mpg on the highway and probably 14 to 15 city which is normal.

i am also jealous of the manual tranny. but my better half cant drive one.

Can you use pre-'01 (think, VQ) sensor's on a VQ powered Pathy? :confused:

If so, a yard might be a place to start for cheap replacements. Older R50's are much easirer to find...

There is a tsb to replace the rear o2 sensors and reprogram the ECM if your ecm part number is affected. Your factory 8 year, 80,000 mile ecm warranty might cover this. The number is NTB03-011. Its pretty common repair, and hey, it might be free! Your ecm has a part number that is printed on every printout from the scan tool at the dealer. Find out what yours is and look up the tsb.

Can someone *please* post this TSB! :)

Is this what your talking about?

TSB

Not sure if that's the one or not. Though, I can't find anything else related to '02 Pathy's o2 sensors. The only other one involves the SES staying illuminated on 2005+ Pathy's.