Headlight Bulbs Again

Trainman

Yup, I called it...most of these bulbs are hype.

I have a variation of the Philips bulbs...the Vision Plus bulbs that I bought from PowerBulbs in the UK. I bought them not as much for the increased output, if any, but I prefer the subtle apperance change and I like the more white light on the road. I've always been the one saying Silverstars are crap, and it looks like this test proves it again. While I still don't think CR knows jack about cars, I applaud them on performing this test. Interesting to see how bad the GE did in the Camry, but it was at the top with the Sebring and Ridgeline. I can't think of a logical reason why the Camry's headlights suck so bad. Wattage? Poor reflector design? I fear for the geriatrics driving that car at night, old people already can't see well in the dark!

I really wish they would test a set of HID retrofits, i.e. what 05thumpinpathy has. I find those extremely distracting at night, and was curious if a set of retrofit projectors would help out with the beam pattern.

Looking at the responses, interesting to see another member pissed with the PIAAs' short life and average performance.

Edited by OR99.5Speed

Interesting to see how bad the GE did in the Camry, but it was at the top with the Sebring and Ridgeline. I can't think of a logical reason why the Camry's headlights suck so bad. Wattage? Poor reflector design?

Our Mystique had awful headlights, did not matter what bulbs were in it. Must have been the design. Probably the same with the Camry.

I recently swapped out original 1990 OE bulbs for GE Nighthawk. Got them at Walmart for about $25. Maybe they're a little better/ brighter. Prior to buying I did internet searches that all rated Nighthawk same as Osram silverstar and Philips Vision plus.. So its not a scientific study but I would tell someone not to spend too much money or go to crazy ordering light bulbs from Europe -- becuase it just didn't seem to make that much improvement over my 15 year old OEMs ! At this point I really believe you would have to go to HIDs to get any significant improvement but they are really expensive and most are not street legal. --my 0.02 -----glenn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest psyopper

One of the problems with this test is the use of OEM reflectors and/or lenses. A more fair test would be to use a recognized industry standard housing/reflector a 6" or 7" round H4 or a 160mm or 200mm rectangular reflector.

This is basic high school science - it's all part of the control to isolate what you are testing as much as possible.

I can tell you from experience from my Miata that uses 7" H4/9003/HB2 round lamps that the factory seald beams sucked, the DOT approved Hella's were better and the Hella ECE's were the best for pattern.

The Hella branded lamps have been the best improvement over graduations - the standard 60/55 was perfect yellow, the Xenon 60/55's were whiter but the same brightness, the halogen 100/85 had a whole lot more of the yellow light, the 60/55 Xenon +50's were a touch whiter than the regular Xenon's and just as bright as a regular 60/55 and my current 100/85 Xenon +100 have the whitest light but a touch less of it than the regular 100/85's.

Again, all of the above mentioned bulbs were Hella brand (and not their Optilux Korean re-brand).

Now I plan to do the same to the Pathfinder. The Hardbody light buckets, grille and sidemarkers are on their way from carpartswholesale.com, as are a set of 200mm Hella ECE's with Xenon 60/55 +50's from rallylights.com

Brad

Good link Trainman! That hits the information dead on accurate.

I would love to take credit this time (I have posted this link before ;) ) but it was actually statikuz you quoted, so good job statikuz :clap:

And it is a great site for light info.