Power Steering Fluid

Has anyone ever changed their power steering fluid? I know the service manual doesn't have any intervals. 

My 97 Pathy has never had fluid changed and I'm still on original rack and pinion with 180,000 miles. Though it might need changing as there is a very slight play in the steering. It was worse before changing out the bushings for rack, now much better.  

Should I bother changing the fluid? I'm not planning on changing this rack out until next summer. 

If so what's the best method in doing so? 

I wouldn't worry about it. Fresh fluid isn't going to fix play. When you change your rack you can put fresh fluid in and more importantly I'd put in a Magnefine magnetic filter to protect the new rack.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You can suck out what's in the res with a turkey baster and refill it with fresh stuff to replace some of it. Draining everything would mean disconnecting the rack, and I wouldn't bother unless the old fluid is dead awful nasty. Either way, new fluid won't do anything for the steering play, though the pump might appreciate it.

When I replaced the steering box on mine, I took the res off the truck, cleaned it out, cleaned the little filter inside, and stuck a magnet in there while I was at it. This was almost certainly more attention than it deserved. Can't hurt. Might help. My steering still sucks, but at least part of it is clean.