'95, rear diff?

zahgurim

Do all of the WD21s come with a H233B rear diff in them?

I have a North American '95, 5speed, VG30, 4x4. Open diff, not LSD.
Am looking to put a lunchbox locker in the rear. And possibly front if available?

I think my Pathy has a H233B rear diff, with 31 splines? Correct? 
Are the fronts similar?

Thanks!

Edited by zahgurim

I'm pretty sure that the front is an R200, super common on S13's,  GTRs, 180's, 240's as a rear diff so there are lockers for the front and lots of regular people have installed them.... the H233 rear is another thing. Not that it isn't available.... ( https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/19851995-wd21-pathfinder-mechanical-locker-c-38_1321_1208.html ).... but installs are a lot less common, as are any setup and fitment issues that might be present.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've since seen that the front is an R200.

I'm thinking to do a LSD in the front (from Tractionconcepts.com ), and a lunchbox setup in the rear. 
I have a partscar SE kicking around. I'd like to pull the entire rear disc brake axle off of it for a swap, and install the lunchbox into it before throwing it onto mine. I'm not sure if that currently has LSD in it or not, or what shape it's in.

Edited by zahgurim
  • Like 1

In the US, the 90-95 Pathfinder used the H233B rear axle with 31 splines. There were a couple of variations, disc brake and drum brake versions used different axle shafts and bearing retainers. The LSD and open diffs used different carriers. Finally transmission determined if the final drive ratio was 4.3:1 or 4.6:1. 

Somewhere along the line between 1987 and 1995 the H233B in the WD21 gained 2 more studs for mounting the center section, but I have heard it isn't a big deal. 

All this information is for 4wd WD21

All that said, disc brake versions usually had LSD. Drum brake had either open or LSD depending on options. 4.3 gears were found in manual transmission and 4.6 was auto.

Years ago my 93 SE had its original equipment LSD and disc brakes. I liked it but wanted more. I had a friend that had a 95 XE with drum brakes, and he wanted a bit more as well. Both trucks were autos so had the same 4.6 gears. I bought a Lockright and the night before a Moab trip we swapped out the center sections of our rear axles. I put the Lockright into the open diff, it was very easy and simple and bolted in the center section into my disc brake axle. 18 or so years later, I am still driving with that same setup. Works fine. 

The LSD center section went into his drum brake axle housing fine, but we did make the discovery later that we had to add the spacer block I took out of his old differential carrier into my old LSD carrier to keep his axle bearings happy. After we got back from a week in Moab we did that and he had no problems for the couple years he had his truck. 

The Lockright was inexpensive and has been completely reliable in my truck running 33x12.50 tires, VG33, and an idiot behind the steering wheel. It will only fit the open diff, but it is a simple install and does make a noticeable difference over a LSD, even a healthy tight one like mine was. 

• Like 2