WJ Offroad Bumper on an R50 (2002 LE)

I am about to build out my 2002 LE that I have had since new. It's got about 100K on it and I plan to do a bumper, winch, lift & rails. I feel like my whole project needs to start with the bumper but there I am at an impasse. The only bumper I can find available is the ARB Sahara Bar. It's expensive, heavy, can't mount the Smittybilt X20 winch I would like and looks pretty old school to me.

Several posts I have read mention that a modified a WJ bumper will fit but to fit with modifications but I can't seem to find the postings with details. My understanding is that the WJ bumper brackets are the right width but need to be shortened and the wings need to be bent out a bit. Also, the wiper fluid reservoir will need to be relocated. I don't have the equipment or skill to do the welding myself and I am having difficulty finding a local fabricator in the Seattle area. Once I do find somebody, I feel like I will need to come in telling them how to do it. Also, I want to be confident it can be done before I buy a WJ bumper instead of finding out after the fact that it won't fit.

Thanks!!

I've been researching this on and off for a while myself, as I think the WJ would look far better. Several guys have successfully (sort of) mounted XJ bumpers by reworking the brackets (Exbrit & cdns4 are 2 that have done fairly extensive writeups, and I know there are several others). Try a search for "XJ bumper". Oh, and welcome once again.

Edited by 01Pathmaker

You're probably thinking of the XJ Bumpers people have made fit. They work mostly because the frames (unibody, whatever) are the same width on the R50 and the XJ, meaning that all that has to be done to mount an XJ bumper is bracket modification, made especially easy on bumpers like that made by Rough Country which feature removable brackets. However, you have to keep in mind issues like the XJ bumper being about 2" too narrow and leaving a lot of delicate stuff down low exposed. A word of warning from personal experience, if you replace the factory bumper you will need to relocate your air intake if you don't want to suck in water. The intake is behind the wheel well liner of the driver's side and will be exposed with the bumper removed. Seeing as it seems you're trying to do a fairly complete build, I'd suggest you go for a snorkel. Personally, I completely avoided the complications of adapting an XJ bumper and just had one custom-made. Unless you have access to an XJ bumper for very cheap, you won't be saving much money versus custom. And by the way, you'll certainly want the heavy duty coils with a bumper and a winch on the front.

(Kind of outdated picture, but hopefully it can serve as some degree of inspiration.)

IMG_20170513_134455.jpg

• Like 1

I just installed the XJ bumper onto my rig this weekend. I ended up making completely new mounts that I welded directly to the unibody. The stock mounts will work but they are extremely flimsy and wont hold up to any abuse. The Bumper I got is the Rough Country one and I am pretty pleased with it. I still have my air box in the stock location as of right now but like mjo says I plan to do a snorkel. I have a few pics of the mounts I made and can post soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the usefull info. I did mean XJ. I think I may just have had WJ on the brain as my Mom's modified WJ just had an untimely death at only 147K (well, it was a Jeep). I'm going to help her outfit a 2005-8ish GX470 which has slowed my research & time to dedicate to the Path. We are meeting in Salt Lake this September to go down to Canyon Country for a week or so and I've got to help her get the vehicle & the right mods on it-not an easy feat.

I knew I would have to relocate the washer fluid reservoir (and ExBrit pointed me to his write up on this) but didn't know about the air intake so that was obviously critical-I don't need to loose my engine too. I've never been a fan of these Pop charger things as it seems most reputable studies of it don't show it really does anything. That said, it does relocate the air intake higher and I guess I'll be needing that. A part of me thought a snorkel was going to far (another part thought it was downright cool) but the only ones I have seen are >$450 which also poured cold water on the idea. That said, it's definitely something I have the technical know how to do and you may just nudge me in that direction.

Now, bumper first (with winch) then rails & suspension (thanks for the input on the Heavy Duty OME's, I figured as much but it's nice to have it confirmed by someone). My main problem is I can't really find any fabricators around here. There is Das Mule which has a good reputation but they quoted me $1,500+ which cooled my enthusiasm. I went to the Northwest Overlander Rally looking for a fabricator but came back empty handed (it did expose me to the GXORs though which are perfect for my Mom). Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or equipment for welding myself. I found a fantastic bumper here (http://rockandroadperformance.com/plate-bumper-process/#comment-200) but they didn't save their jigs and can't do it without the vehicle (they're in Northern CA) and this guy, RLC Weld (http://www.rlcweldfab.com/) was nice, had a good rep, and quoted me $515 shipped c shackle mounts & winch mount. Unfortunately, he also needs the vehicle and is in the SouthEast.

Sounds like your mom rolls in some cool rides! Pics of the Lexus when it's ready?

I haven't yet relocated my washer fluid resi, so if you have that link handy I'd love to look at it.

I'm not a fan of those cone-shaped air intakes, as I figure they'll just suck in water that's splashed up, and they are often expensive too. An alternative to the expensive R50 snorkel's is adapting one from another Nissan (I think the Navara?) to fit. Quite a few people have done it with great success, and since they're so much cheaper it's what I'm going to do when I get around to it.

As I've been driving on the new front coils the last few days, I'm liking them more and more. Kind of obvious, but OME really knows what they're doing!!! That's too bad about they bumper, I guess you'll just have to keep looking or take the cost one way or the other. Good luck.

• Like 1

We haven't committed quite yet but once we do I'll be happy to give you what I've learned. It almost convinced me to put my Path's value toward a GX build of my own but I'm sentimental & all I've personally owned (wife aside) are Nissans for 33+ years. GXs are a great value to buy used but you pretty much have to commit to a lift, rails & front off road bumper (& they're expensive) just to consider it. I think you really want to replace the rear air bags & probably the rear bumper too (also expensive though fantastic quality at MetalTech4x4 for all the armor). I'll stop as we're way off thread here but, once I get my hands dirty, I should be a pretty good resource. I've actually consumed more GX Info this mo than Path stuff as her Jeep WJ died an unexpected death & we were going to Overland with it in Southern UT this Sept. My dad can't do the work anymore so it's up to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

BTW, We've axed the GX option as the rear seats fold up inefficiently. Even my short Mom can't fit back there with them folded. We would have to remove the 60% seat section which means that she would only have one rear seat if she needed it. She likes to drive all around the West but stop by and take the Grandkids around when she get here which wouldn't be possible if the full rear seats weren't in it. Also, in the PacNW, the side swing door is big negative-you really need the swing up for weather cover here.

• 1 month later...