95 cranks but no start after dieing

dbolt

I was accelerating when all of a sudden I heard a "proof" and the motor died and won't restart. What could this be? I'm stumped fellas. Thanks a for your help!!!

There are a hell of a lot of things it could be, but let's start with the big one, the timing belt. Remove the distributor cap, crank it, and have someone watch the rotor. It should spin with the engine. If not, you've got a bad belt and likely damaged valves as well.

If it's not that, check for spark, check for fuel, check for codes.

Thanks for your assistance! The rotor doesn't spin, abd I was just getting ready to go get a distributor when you mentioned the timing belt. What is the easiest way to check the distributor before pulling the front end apart for the timing belt? I guess just pulling the distributor and checking it is my best bet?

I've never heard of the dizzy shaft breaking. The sensors crap out, but there's not much to go wrong on the shaft itself. If you do pull the dizzy, put the motor to TDC and mark its position first, it'll be one less thing to try and figure out when you're tearing the motor apart.

Chances are it'll have a misfire on at least one cylinder where the valves have bent. People do occasionally get lucky but unless you've got the Lucky Charms guy tied up in your basement you're probably looking at valve work. Or an engine swap.

pull first spark plug and slip a long screwdriver down the hole. Turn the crankshaft by hand (make sure coil is disconnected) and see if screwdriver moves. If no... you have no connection between the crankshaft and the camshafts... hence... timing belt broke or shredded

pull first spark plug and slip a long screwdriver down the hole. Turn the crankshaft by hand (make sure coil is disconnected) and see if screwdriver moves. If no... you have no connection between the crankshaft and the camshafts... hence... timing belt broke or shredded

Uhhh... that's not how it works buddy. What you describe would mean there's no connection between the crank, rods, and pistons. as long as those are okay, a screwdriver down the spark bolt hole will make it move up and down regardless of belt condition. Wouldn't be able to turn the crank by hand if the belt was good though, so there is that.

All you need to do is take the three screws out of the distributor cap, set it off to the side, and try to crank it. The rotor (which is now visible without the distributor cap) may or may not rotate. if it doesn't rotate, the belt broke and you likely need an engine.

Edited by silverton
  • Like 1

Uhhh... that's not how it works buddy. What you describe would mean there's no connection between the crank, rods, and pistons. as long as those are okay, a screwdriver down the spark bolt hole will make it move up and down regardless of belt condition. Wouldn't be able to turn the crank by hand if the belt was good though, so there is that.

All you need to do is take the three screws out of the distributor cap, set it off to the side, and try to crank it. The rotor (which is now visible without the distributor cap) may or may not rotate. if it doesn't rotate, the belt broke and you likely need an engine.

lol... I guess I shouldn't answer mechanical questions having pulled a triple shift and no sleep for 2 days. my bad.