Engine races at startup

packmule

I am just curious if anyone else has encountered this. From a cold start, the engine races and then idles down. Now I know it does this normally, but it seems to me that it's getting worse. It makes the little bit of lifter tick i have sound more like a rod knock. On occasion, I can smell gas, but not normally.

Also, are there any other nissan wiper motors that will interchange that run faster than um...SLOW and umbearable?

1987 SE 5-speed

192,xxx

Something I do to reduce lifter tick is add a bit of ATF to the clean oil during oil change. I let the oil drain out then pour atf in. It cleans more of the old oil out of the sump and at the same time lubricates the lifters. Or even try adding atf to the old oil, run it for 10 mins at idle then drain. Should clean them up pretty good. Last time I checked the top of my crankcase with a mini camera it was clean and shiny inside, most likely due to the atf. I believe it works better than the engine flush stuff that is basically kerosene in an overpriced brightly colored bottle.

My 86.5 Hardbody does the surge too almost every time. The ticking is probably just due to oil not quite to the top end yet. Mine does that sometimes. Usually when it is cold out, below 40. Mine when it is really cold, usually below 20, will hold RPM. I dont have cruise either. For the first shift or two it will hold what ever RPM I was at which makes for a rough shift!

As for the wiper, I have no suggestions. "High" setting is what I call slow and "low" is what I call slower.