Auto trans help

Mudlover55

Question for the experts. im picking up a vg33 tomorrow and the guy offered me the auto trans to go with it for cheap. Its a 96. My rig that im building is an 88 pathy. and it has an auto in it as well. from my research it looks like they both have the same auto trans so will the one form the 96 work with the 88 with no issues? or will I need the tcm form the 96 to make it work in my 88? And for those that say don't run the auto cause its crap please keep those comments to yourself ;) plus in case the auto does ever crap out on me I have a manual ready to go in. Thanks for the help! (ps is there an actual members build page?)

Edited by Mudlover55

Yes you will need a TCM, but perhaps not the one from the R50 (96) I am sure others who may have more insight into such a swap will around to clearify this a bit more.

But regarding the 88, I take it that this is a manual? If so then the ECU in it will not be able to control the transmission (via the module), you will have to find a replacement from a 2dr, TBI, VG30, WD21 with an auto trans (good time to get the TCU if needed as well.)

There is a bunch of info regarding ECU's here, but to help you get started ECU Unit Although this thread is specifically about 4dr MPFI WD21's, it has info worth reading regarding ECU interchange.

Awesome thanks guys! yeah the 88 has an auto in it already. i have a manual out of that 91 i bought wrecked. guy is selling me a perfectly running (190K) engine, ecu and engine harness for $300 and offered me the auto for another $150 so im thinking it might be nice to have a spare? or is it really even needed? it has less miles on it than my auto 88 trans though.