Another headers thread

Im looking for some headers though not for a pathy but for a 86.5 hardbody with the VG30i. I have an exhaust leak and I figured this was a good excuse to get more performance and fix a problem.

From the reasearch I have done I have gotten 3 different reasons why the "e" (90-95) and "i" (86.5-89) headers are different. From seraching here it is just the emissions/EGR port location. Pacesetter says it a chassis diference and Thorley told me it was bolt pattern. Which is it? The "e" headers are half the price of "i" headers depending on where I look. From 4x4parts the Thorleys for the "i" are ~$500. At Summit the "e" are around ~$250-300. Ruggedrocks website hates me and refuses to load.

If I decide to grab one or the other varient and decided not to do the EGR piping, can I just cap it and un plug the EGR? Any other piping that runs from them to anywhere else? (Federal Emissions)

I have also read that the "i" headers are long tube while the "e" headers are shortys. Is this true?

What sort of gain over stock should I see? Torque? I will also have a custom intake so no need to worry about the round swirling air, square piping and the corrugated piping creating restrictions.Any noticable difference between long and short tube?

Lastly, other than Pacesetter and Thorley, are there any other options to consider?

Edited by deerhurst

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern's the same, but yeah, the EGR bung is different. Hopefully somebody who knows headers better can fill in the rest.

There are also OBX headers, but they won't fit unless you do a body lift.

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern's the same, but yeah, the EGR bung is different. Hopefully somebody who knows headers better can fill in the rest.

There are also OBX headers, but they won't fit unless you do a body lift.

Even on a 4x4? I do not want to do a body lift.

Did more research.

Nothing is mentioned about the secondary air port coming from the AIV assembly. Are these in the same location or gone altogether?

I have not found anyone that will tell me if there is difference in how the headers are tuned.

I have a couple more questions. My area does not do smog tests at all and my truck is too old for most of the state to smog. So, that leads me to this. How hard is to remove the EGR and will I see any differences? How bad is it to remove the AIV? I can only see the CAT, secondary air to the manifold and the AB valve being part of that. If I remove all of that, what differences should I see? Will the ECU still be happy? If that is the case and the "new" style headers will fit and have good low end torque characteristics I will look at those and kill the emissions.

Having issues with the rugged rocks site? PM Steeevo on here, he'll help you out (it's his site/company).

And "e" powered trucks compared to "I" powered trucks share the same frame so whoever said chassis difference was just covering their own azz by basicly saying they are "only designed for configuration, not y z or 73 (kinda like Performance Accessories saying their bodylift won't work in an auto truck where they are perfectly fine).

And your truck should technically have a 1-1.5 (I forget off hand) bodylift from the factory. Hate them, you have one! Point and laugh everyone! :lol:

(Kidding, but you do have a small factory one compared to a wd21 which the body lays RIGHT on the frame, one of the reasons body lifted wd21 people scavenge for some of the d21 pieces)

His words:

"I made a few sets of headers that would fit your truck but it is so difficult to get 2-1/2" downpipes past the torsion bars that I stopped producing them. "

He then proceeded to state that the thorleys are the only ones worth using. He also said the website is being worked on.

For now I think I am looking at figuring out a set of VG30e headers and killing off the EGR. Still no word from anyone about the AIV and if I will have to kill that off.

I have heard very mixed reviews about the OBX but nothing about how they fit on a VG30 in a truck/pathy. People say that lately the welds are very nice and quality has gone up. Some people swear by them and other, naturally, hate everything about them. They are supposedly pacesetter copies.

I do like the thorley but they are $$. The "e" are half the price of the "i" compatible ones on 4x4parts but the OBX are little bit more to what I want to afford.