Clutch safety switch absolute?

turbonegro

First timer here so bare with me. Recently my 92 Pathfinder (M/T) decided to no crank, no start. Battery good, battery cables good. I removed the interlock relay and put in a jump wire and it fired right up. So I figure it has to be a bad relay and go buy a new one and put it in and nothing. Put the jump wire back in and I'm back in business. My buddy who is a mechanic tells me I have a bad clutch switch. I looked 300 times and I see no clutch switch. He wont believe me. Am I somehow unable to see it, was it moved, is it possible it never had one? Any thoughts? Thanks

If its a stock manual rig it has one right behind the clutch pedal arm. Its a small black plastic part with a rod sticking out. Should have a blue electrical connector.

Edited by Kingman

maybe it's the rubber bushing that makes contact with the clutch switch? See anything on the floor that looks like a broken lifesaver candy? possibly a tan color?

This is what they look like on the brake pedal as their is one for the brake lights and one for cruise control if your truck has cruise, should be another one on the clutch pedal:

10qgh6t.jpg

the pic I posted is the brake pedal but if you do not see the rubber bumper on your clutch pedal, and their is no switch than perhaps someone bypassed the switch, can you see a blue plug hanging with a jumper wire in it nearby?

when I read the title, I thought this thread was asking if you absolutely needed a clutch safety switch. You don't, if that's what you want to know. When I did my 5speed swap, I just soldered the two wires together for the (I believe mine was called a neutral safety switch?) relay and effectively just completed the circuit. Works great. Never need to push the clutch pedal in to start the car! Really nice for when I don't want to get all the way in it and press the clutch to start it. Like when I'm doing work on it or something and don't want to open the door a million times.

If your Pathy was originally an automatic, it should be fairly obvious. If so, there's probably still the A/T computer under the passenger seat. And if it's been taken out, there should be a bunch of remaining wires. Also, the carpet around the shifter and boot should be pretty ill-fitting. Another indicator is if everything looks factory around the pedal area where ahardb0dy posted a picture. If it looks legit, it's probably not been modified. When I put the 5speed brake and clutch pedal brackets in, it seemed like half the connectors weren't available for the sensors, forcing me to solder/jump the clutch switch.

As far as possibly trying to fix your original issue and keep it as factory as possible, I would suggest you whip out a circuit tester (one of those little needle looking things with a ground clip and a lightbulb) and test the prongs on the relay as it's installed to see if it's relaying power as it should.