ABS light check.

94svt50

I have a 2002 pathfinder and the ABS light recently came on. I was reading in the Haynes manual that the codes can be read by counting the number of times the ABS light flashes when you ground terminal #9 on the ecu connector under the dash. This procedure is supposed to work on 2002 and older pathfinders but, when I tried it I just blew the fuse for the ecu. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks! great resource manual do you have the link to the rest of the FSM? I will get the codes this afternoon and post back.

Edited by 94svt50

The codes are in. They are 12,25,31 and 21. Which makes no sense because code 12 is for no malfunction. The manual say 25 is front left sensor open circuit, 31 is right rear open circuit, and 21 is front right open circuit. Could all these sensors really go bad at once? The light has been on for a couple months so I guess they could just be piling up. Any thought on how to address this? Could the 12 be that there is no current codes and these others are stored in the memory from some freak incident? I might try clearing the codes and driving around and see which ones come back and in what order. Thanks.

Edited by 94svt50

You can download the entire FSM here: http://www.nicoclub....002_Pathfinder/

To save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Follow the diagnostic procedure on BR-59.

How is the brake fluid level? Has the fluid ever been flushed?

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks for the input. The brake fluid does need to be changed and is on the list to do, its original 163k miles on it. But, Im not sure I follow how the dirty fluid would throw codes for an open circuit.

It probably is unrelated, but ABS systems like clean fluid (hell, what doesn't?) and brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, resulting in a lower boiling point of the fluid and potentially causing corrosion. Change it out every 2 years, not 10!

It needs to be done, i have everything changed except brake and powersteering fluid. What are the odds that this many sensors would be bad? So far the connections seem good havent yet tried ohming them yet.

I have no clue, I've never had any experience with ABS faults nor read of any previously. I hope they're not faulty, since they sure are expensive!

Change your power steering fluid using a turkey baster. Use synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Siphon out the reservoir then refill, and repeat after a couple days of driving in between until you're through two quarts of ATF. Then siphon & fill every other oil change or so.

Edited by Towncivilian

change the brake fuild out first, make sure it is bled correctly.

Out of curiousity, did you have anything done to the tires recently?

Edited by Alkorahil

nope, the tires have been on there for the last 3 years, I rotated them last year but, thats been it. Air pressure is equalized and the tires still have decent tread left. I cleared the codes and so far have driven it about 80 miles with no codes returning.

Cleared the codes and the light stayed off for a 100 miles but, has now come back on with the same codes. Checking prices and the after market brand sensors range from $150+ for the front and around $300 for the back. Oem is around $900 for the back. Ridiculous. Going to do some detailed inspection of the components to rule out other causes for the codes.