Is This the Death Wobble?

ScottZ

Thanks for reading! We are talking about a 97 R50 SE 4x4 180,000 miles.

Here are the symptoms.. When I give it gas from off throttle the pathy wants to go UP and to the RIGHT and when I let off the throttle it wants to go DOWN and to the LEFT. This is much more pronounced at highway speeds. It FEELS like it's being steered by a rudder in the back.

If you have the cruse on and as it goes on or off throttle it makes the rear shift from side to side.

Sounds like the rear trailing arm bushings right??

My plan is to buy the split poly bushings from 4x4 parts and replace them myself. Either have the old ones pressed out or melt/hacksaw them out, then slide the new poly bushings in.

My understanding is, I can remove one trailing arm, one at a time, without jacking up the truck. Is this correct?

I also understand that the lower arms would be the first to replace if only doing two at a time. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

yes it is the trailing arms bushings, but do one at a time or else you might have difficulties to reattach them as the diff will have moved...

not sure how you will be able to do this without jacking the truck.... one more thing, if you use the poly bushings, make sure to put some appropriate grease between the bushing and the sleeve or they will be bad in not time. if you use the rubber ones, only bolt the nut lightly first and final torque once the truck is back on it's wheel.

happy hacking !

S.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I figured I would have to change the bushings.

My plan is to jack it up, test which ones twist the most and change those first. Probably the lower ones. I will change them all soon.

It seems like the split poly bushings from 4x4 parts is the way to go, right? (and i will use a quality grease for poly bushings, I hate squeaks)

I have read the other 'death wobble' threads but any tips or tricks are welcome.

Edited by ScottZ

mine happened to be the lowers but it could be either...

ive had no problems since replacing with poly, and it's been several years now. The rear is nice and stiff.

Good luck!

Hey guys, out of curiosity should the bushings be visibly damaged or decayed when they're "bad?" I ask because my '01 that I'm selling just recently developed a pretty severe kick just like all of the usual symptoms describe. I never even crawled under to look or try to twist them by hand, but I want to get it driving better before I sell it, plus I figured with 110k miles it wouldn't hurt to do anyway. I ordered new upper and lower rear arms and had them installed today (for $100 bucks labor I couldn't bring myself to do it alone). Just got off the phone with my buddy at the shop who said the old ones "didn't look like they had anything wrong." So I'm excited that they're done and new, but a little nervous I'm still going to have a wobble of my own.

Anyway, I'll update this thread after I drive it this evening, but figured while I'm stressing myself out maybe I could get someone to chime in and tell me the bushings often look fine even when they're shot. :D

When they took mine out, one had the rubber torn but the rest looked ok. But they were all shot the ride difference was amazing.

I never got to see my old ones as I picked it up after the shop closed and they must have kept/tossed them, but despite the shop manager telling me they "looked fine," just like you said the difference is amazing. Thanks guys.

Wish he would have tossed the old arms in the cargo area, I imagine they might have come in handy for someone who wants to do their own bushings.