Hi guys

Hi guys,

I'm new here, obviously. I have a RHD 1991 Nisssan Terrano R3M TD27T (2.7L turbo diesel). I got it with low k's, around 60K, and completely free of rust, besides the exhaust pipe, mid-pipe i got replaced, and the chrome tip has been replaced. It looks liked it was well taken care of, the interior was in great condition. Anyways, I've looked you guys up because I have a handful of fixes I need to do, nothing to do under the hood really, besides checking my glow plugs and changing my filters. I'd like to figure out what this causing that black smoke from the exhaust when i punch the pedal. I understand its the fuel/air ratio, I'm just not completely sure how to diagnose that, but I'll start somewhere. Really, most of my fixes are just random parts around the truck. I was hoping to ask you guys a handful of questions, but before I do, I thought I'd introduce myself and truck. I've done a lot of reading on the forums already, learned a lot, and I've done a lot of bookmarking. I'[ll try using the search function before asking anything, so as to try to keep the redundancy to a minimum, but please forgive me if I make a mistake. I'm far from being a mechanic. I now how some parts of my truck work, and I can do a handful of basic tasks, like an oil change, or other filter changes, and change a tire, but that's about the extent of my abilities. I've got the service manuals for my truck, and I plan to learn.

This is my truck, its pretty much stock, I havent added anything myself, it came this way. It has a factory extra small bull bar, and wind sheilds, which have since cracked and need to be removed. The cheap fog lights in the picture have since broken. And inside there's a handful of after market electronics, but thats about it. I didnt take this picture myself, I found it on the internet before it was exported to Canada from Japan, but I know its my truck because of the after market stuff, and all the stickers, which I've since removed.

That's all for now guys. It seems like a very informative site you got here, and I look forward to trying to contribute something.

Happy Trails...

Josh

mytruck.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! :wub: it's so....... so.......... SHINEY! :blink: very nice rig!

welcome to the family! WAVEY

** may wanna shrink that sig pic a bit though** ;)

Edited by Slick

Wow, nice Terrano!!

As slick mentioned, your sig pic is a bit big, if you could take that down to about half the size.

Welcome to NPORA!!

Welcome! Depending where you're at in Canada there are lots of members in most of the major cities that are willing to lend a hand if need be.

I'm jealous!

Welcome man.

I'd love to find a R3M TD27T for under $9000. They are expensive whenever I see them for sale. I'm very Jealous too.

Oh and Hey Adamzan....... He's got headlight washers. *sigh* Lucky bastard. :rant2:

Hey guys,

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

I'll see what I can do about my picture size. I added my signature picture after I posted the same pic, so normally there will be just 1 pic, but yeah, its still a bit big.

Yes, the truck is very nice and shiny in the picture. Like i said, I didnt take that picture, I presume they tried to make it look as good as possible before exporting.

The headlight washers were a factory extra i take it? I didnt know that. There's a factory switch for it inside, so I just figured it was stock. I keep noticing more and more after market stuff on my truck, although I think most of it is just factory extra's, not true after market. I wonder if those running boards are stock?

EDIT- How's the picture size?

Edited by shasdakota

One of the strangest after market things the previous owners did to this truck, was install a light underneath the truck, near the fuel tank, pointed towards the rear left???

I cant figure out how to turn it on, so I guess it's not completely wired up? But I have no idea why anyone would place a light there? Any idea's?

Those running boards and the small bull bar with fog lights are not stock but they were made for Terrano I as they have the exact mounting supports, as you can check. Can't remember the brand of them, though.

As for the smoke it's normal, depends how much it makes, but Diesel's make black smoke when you punch the pedal, mine too.

The rear light might have been an idea for whelling at night, but it should have another in the other side or it's an unfinnished job since you don't have the switch for it... :shrug:

You have to post some pics. :)

Edited by teixeira

hey teixeira-

thats what i figured about the parts...

i know all diesels smoke, but cant the level of smoke vary? I have a feeling mine might be smoking a little more than normal. I'm gonna check my glow plugs to make sure they're all good, and i also need to change my fuel filter and air filter. i bet even the filter change will make a difference. since its the air/fuel ratio that causes black smoke (un-burned fuel), i just figured that the ratio can be adjusted, by making sure all the fuel is being burned, by making sure its getting enough air, through clean filters, and make sure that air is being heated enough by the glow chargers. There may be other ways to help with this also, but this is where I'm going to start.

And about the headlight Washers. Those were never a option available for North America. Since I found out not that long ago I've been asking Aussies and Kiwi's to keep an eye out for a wrecked Terrano with the setup to steal/buy from and ship down here. I'm prompt with Paypal if you ever come across one. I'm very Jealous of you Turbo Diesel guys. North America got the Shaft for sure on our rigs. So many options were offered everywhere else but here.

The washers were not available in Europe as well but it was an option available, specially in Japan...

We didn't had that many options.... you - Dowser and in USA - had many more: center consoles with arm rest, map lights, sports and touring suspention mode switch, cruise control, spare tire carrier, and so on...

interesting.... i didnt realize how many more options were available in Japan. my truck has the sport/touring suspension switch as well, but no cruise control.

yeah, it sucks they didnt make a diesel Pathfinder, cause it makes getting parts a real pain in the neck sometimes.

I'm looking for a handful of Terrano parts right now, so if i come across the headlight washers, I'll let you know Dowser.

texeira- yeah, was reffering mostly to engine parts. although I have had problems with others also. I ordered a rear tailgate strut (to keep my rear gate open),it was after market, not a nissan part, but it was supposed to fit all 1991 Pathfinders, and it didnt fit my terrano. It was about 2" to long. If you've ordered any parts direct from Nissan, can I ask you something? They have different part #'s for 1991 Pathfinder SE, LE, ST, etc, so it leaves me to believe they are slightly different. the guys at Nissan couldnt tell me, and they wont let me return anything, even un-used, thats why i ordered my tailgate strut after market, plus it was almost $100 less than Nissan was charging. I'm gonna head out to a pick-you-part type place and try to compare vehicles soon. I'm under the impression all 1991 Pathfinder parts, other than engine parts, would be compatable with my Terrano, but so far that hasnt been my experience. plus electrical parts for my right hand drive door panel arent compatable with a LHD Pathfinder either. And I happen to need one of those... So, yeah, its been kinda a headache so far. wish i could just hand over my VIN and go order parts. but I'd rather deal with the headache of my RHD diesel terrano, than not, and i'm sure i'll figure out the part thing soon enough.

And if anyone knows where I can get oil filters in Toronto for my TD27T engine, please let me know. As of now I've been ordering them from across the country...

Funny co-incidence. just got a knock on my door, it was Fed ex with another tailgate strut for me. I found another website with tailgate strut's, and this one had different struts for 1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE and LE. Since I dont have a Terrano SE, I tried the Pathfinder LE tailgate strut, and it fits! So, it seems there may be slight differences in some parts between models. i think my Terrano matches up with the Pathfinder LE, and/or Pathfinder ST (standard transmission). The Pathfinder/Terrano SE probably has slightly different parts in some area's, they also came with 31" tires and 15x7 wheels.