Brake Lights Stay On!

blackspawn

I got home to today to see my rigs brake light on and shining; I mashed on the brake pedal and they were still on. The only way they will turn off is to take the fuse out; does this sounds like a brake light switch under the steering wheel went out? Any suggestion would be appreciated...

look on the brake pedal bump stop when the pedal is not depressed...i bet you see a lil plastic plunger sticking through...theres a rubber stop usually in the hole the pin is sticking through...the way i fixed this was ran a small screw through a bottle beer top and pulled it so it crushed it to the position it should be and that solved my problems for the past 9 or so years until it was pulled and swapped with my 95 pedals during my last swap

Edited by unccpathfinder

just replace the rubber bumper that hits the brake switch, Last time I bought this part I bought a few as it is the same on my Sentra for the clutch pedal as well as the brake. Same part for the 2 on the pathfinder too, one for brake one for the cruise switch. Nissan Fast lists 2 different part numbers clutch pedal and brake pedal but I have used the same part for both pedals, part number 46512-H0101

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 9 months later...

My 96 at 150k had the same problem, thanks to these great NPORA folks I had the inside line to an easy fix. Seems the shifter interlock switch has the same rubber bumper as the brake switch, maybe that's why my cruise control doesn't work anymore.

Related: like ahardb0dy my old 91 Sentra SE-r had the same brake issue, I fixed it and the Pathy the same way. Gaffer tape stuck to the pedal arm with a small piece of wood held in place by the gaffer tape to emulate the height of the rubber bump stop. This will have to do until I have time to get the right part.

Edited by sonyslave

maybe that's why my cruise control doesn't work anymore.

Look for a split vacuum line, maybe at the servo, if it is you can probably just cut off the bad part and reinstall :)